The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, when can we expect 0.6?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005    Post subject: So, when can we expect 0.6? Reply with quote

Isn't it time for some new nightlies? Razz
Zachariah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it time to use Search?

• If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

I've searched. Oh, how I've searched. The latest I found on 0.6 was this thread and the latest "won't say" was from Nov 25, 2004.

I was hoping for some news Razz
idbehold

Ok, this is going in my sig:
idbehold wrote:
[The next version of adblock] is planned to be released when Microsoft desides to make Windows open source

idbehold wrote:
[The next version of adblock] is planned to be released when Microsoft desides to make Windows open source

Naaah, that'll never happen. How about "when Duke Nukem Forever is finished"? Laughing
Org

When 0.6 will be released? I believe the short answer would be the classic "when it's ready". The long answer would be "when rue feels it's ready" :-).
idbehold

Org wrote:
When 0.6 will be released? I believe the short answer would be the classic "when it's ready". The long answer would be "when rue feels it's ready" Smile.

i.e. never
Org

idbehold, why be so negative? We have perfectly well working version of Adblock in our hands right now. Why should the next major version be rushed out half-finished?

rue and wonkothesane are doing this on their free time. They are contributing their efforts for all of us - including you, idbehold - for free. I think that the least we can do is to respect that contribution. Maybe you could take a good look at the release history of rue: awesome stuff like Adblock V0.5 and SessionSaver V0.2d1Nightly. IMO, his past work has been among the very best the whole Mozilla extension community has been able to produce.

Org wrote:
idbehold, why be so negative? We have perfectly well working version of Adblock in our hands right now. Why should the next major version be rushed out half-finished?

Because I, at least, am going mad with the repeating images on several sites I check daily. See http://www.aftenposten.no/ and http://www.dagbladet.no/ for examples. I use G's excellent filterset.

I'd rather see many small improvements through many releases instead of having to wait forever for amazing stuff.

Bugfixes are more important than new features. Oyh! Microsoft! Are you listening? Confused

idbehold wrote:
[The next version of adblock] is planned to be released when Microsoft desides to make Windows open source.

Just FYI it's spelt 'decides' with a 'c' not 's'.
Zachariah

Anonymous wrote:
idbehold wrote:
[The next version of adblock] is planned to be released when Microsoft desides to make Windows open source.

Just FYI it's spelt 'decides' with a 'c' not 's'.

SpellBound - Spellchecker for Firefox and the Mozilla Suite (the second extension I install after Adblock)

idbehold

Org wrote:
Why should the next major version be rushed out half-finished?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*wipes tears from eyes*

I'm sorry did you just say 'rushed'?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

idbehold:
It's worth remembering: the only reason you know about v.6 is because I broke the silence for n39. If the decision had been anything other, you'd be wiping the tears on someone else's forum.
I wouldn't put it past me to note all IPs you've posted from, then hard-wire the site to deliver v.5 for your indefinite future :P
Ken Cooper

rue wrote:
I wouldn't put it past me to note all IPs you've posted from, then hard-wire the site to deliver v.5 for your indefinite future Razz

Now I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. Laughing

Does this hidden text work on all phpBB sites?

Last edited by Ken Cooper on Sat Jan 22, 2005; edited 1 time in total
idbehold

rue wrote:
I wouldn't put it past me to note all IPs you've posted from, then hard-wire the site to deliver v.5 for your indefinite future

Damn. I thought you already did that.

rue: I'm with you that there are a lot of negative posts about the next version of adblock, especially in this thread, but it would help if you would post something about the status of the next release instead of issuing threats ...

I think people are right to be wondering when the next version is since we've been hearing that it is under development for sometime now, yet nothing tangable is available, not even a screenshot of the new interface which it apparently has

adblock has a website, you could put it to use by posting a news update once in a while to help sooth the anxious among us.

just a thought.

--loyal adblock user
idbehold

Adblock 0.5, Development Build 2:
This branch is tested *solely* under Mozilla 1.3.1 WaMCom -- proceed with caution

Mozilla 1.3.1 Released: May 8th, 2003
Mozilla 1.4.0 Released: July 1st, 2003

Sorry for rushing you
Org

We have this fine tool in our use and you choose to be just plain mean :-(. Pretty damned lame. New version or not, in any case you get so much more than you paid for.
Lanny Chambers

Careful with those assumptions. Like me, rue prefers to use Mac OS9. WaMCom 1.3.1 is the latest version of Mozilla that runs under OS9. I can't speak for rue, but I'm not letting a browser dictate what operating system I use.

The current version of Adblock is the best thing to hit browserdom since Autothenticate (for NN4). Nothing is perfect, but Adblock does 99% of what I want it to do, and never causes problems. I'm in no hurry to be a guinea pig for new minor features.

Org wrote:
New version or not, in any case you get so much more than you paid for.

And if I wanted to pay for it, how would I do that, then?
wow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005    Post subject: Release 0.6! Reply with quote

Does the 2nd post on http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=1438 mean that you have a whitelist feature in 0.6??? Well, then release it asap...., puhleaseeee

Or if you just have to hold 0.6 for sometime, release a 0.6rc1! I can live with that. You have no idea how much that whitelist can improve my life!
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005    Post subject: Re: Release 0.6! Reply with quote

wow wrote:
Does the 2nd post on http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=1438 mean that you have a whitelist feature in 0.6???
Quote:
This is coming -- very soon.

wonkothesane
The Other Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Org wrote:

Well, first, I'd examine some of the moral/philosophical questions that the addition of money introduces to the ad-blocking equation.

If a bit of reflection doesn't dissuade you from the desire to be generous, the closest you could reasonably expect to come is a donation to mozilla.org, or perhaps mozdev.org, or xulplanet.com, or the FSF / EFF / OSI. (mozilla and the last three are all 501(c)(3) nonprofits, meaning your $donations will likely be tax-deductable; mozdev and xuplanet don't appear to be).

You wouldn't get any special treatment beyond the street cred due to all those who donate to such projects, but still...

Guest: the problem is that by posting information, we're making an implict (or, for idbehold, explicit...) promise that whatever features or interface bits are in the screenshot will be included in the 0.6 that we release. There have been two or three times already where I had thought 0.6 was essentially done, only to have fairly significant changes in the featureset or interface occur.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Org

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Org wrote:

One possible solution: look for other alternatives, including commercial programs. Don't products like Symantec Internet Security or F-Secure 2005 have adblocking modules?

Personnally I'm far too content with Adblock V0.5 to even try other programs, but YMMV as always.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005    Post subject: Re: Release 0.6! Reply with quote

whitelist feature
Zachariah wrote:
This is coming -- very soon.

What does it mean? This statement is very old. Sad I and many different need this feature so urgently.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What does it mean?" -- it is just only as much as I know, and it's really the best answer there is so far (unless you count points for humor, in which case idbehold's signature "...planned to be released when Microsoft decides to make Windows open source" would win)

With filterset.g I only see about 1% of the ads on the web.

I have made it not block "banner" because of it giving me a false positive, and you know what -- I think the rest of the list makes up for it, because I still don't see many ads.

A carefully crafted filterlist is far more important than a whitelist. I see no way that a user could "urgently" need it.

but I am eagerly awaiting it's release

Ken Cooper

Zachariah wrote:
A carefully crafted filterlist is far more important than a whitelist.

Hey thats a great line - and I too am looking forward to the next release, just to see the goodies that are anticipated.
IceDogg

I wouldn't call it urgently needed, but I think it would be helpful. If you have a site you want to support you could ad it to the whitelist. But like you say, It's not "urgently needed" but I still can't wait. LOL. new toy and all.

Zachariah wrote:
"What does it mean?" ....
A carefully crafted filterlist is far more important than a whitelist. I see no way that a user could "urgently" need it.

That's completely correct and i think i have a powerful filterlist, about 15 filters only. But if i change my filters without a whitelist i get more ads.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would also like to hear something of a status update.. the current adblock break the latest Mozilla build. I'm currently surfing the web with all adds on, and I'm getting deaf from all the commercials screaming at me..
Zachariah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi, I would also like to hear something of a status update.. the current adblock break the latest Mozilla build. I'm currently surfing the web with all adds on, and I'm getting deaf from all the commercials screaming at me..
you can at least turn off some adds using the information in this thread. It would be interesting to hear how much is blocked -- I know it's aimed at Google, but I wonder how good of a usercontent.css blocklist one could make (ie, could you make one which functions better than the adblock extension?).

the thread "Adblocking with UserContent.css" is useful, too

ShunterAlhena

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, don't get me wrong, but I think that the sheer size of users you managed to amass means some responsibility.
You are an amazing people to make all this effort for nothing (I don't even know your real names!), and I never could understand eg DC++-s developer who has millions of people and still releases his work letting anyone tamper with it.

But, this "when it's ready" and "wait patiently" stuff is still a bit... eh... annoying. Firefox 0.9.3 was kinda stable and good, wasn't it? Just like 0.5.2.039! And they still released 1.0 and in the meanwhile made countless builds available! So, what I'm asking for is... a reliable featurelist, news, possibly a screenshot... anything concrete.
I prolly don't see how could that damage the cause. Make a statement in big bold letters "Subject to CHANGE" and nobody will revolt if something differs when /or if/ 0.6 is finally released.
How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"
SHODAN, System Shock
best game ever - the only one I ever bought as well

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShunterAlhena wrote:
So, what I'm asking for is... a reliable featurelist, news, possibly a screenshot... anything concrete.

Completely my opinion.
kstahl
Support

There will be a whitelist.

kstahl wrote:

Shock Oh what for a statement. There must be something completely different on it.
No, Sorry! This statement has already a beard. Crying or Very sad
idbehold

kstahl wrote:

Yeah, and Windows will be open source. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of belly aching in this thread and I wanted to inject some encouragement. Guys you have a great piece of software that I can't thank you enough for creating. Thank you for making surfing a pleasant experience again.

I'm very eager to check out the next release. So again, thanks again for all the under appreciated work you've put into this project.
ShunterAlhena

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005    Post subject: Re: Thank You! Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
...for all the under appreciated work you've put into this project...

Erm, I wouldn't say that. IF you read through this topic (and the countless others on this forum) and understood what has been said, you would see that everyone appreciates and loves Adblock, but we are very curious about the next release (and wanted to notify the developers about that Wink)
SHODAN, System Shock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my question is, when is Adblock 0.5 going to be properly released? It has been using the developer notation of Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39 for some time. Having a version linked to under Install on the website is a bit less forboding than Dev Builds for beginner users.
daniel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all those complainers: adblock is open source, isn't it? if you really want a feature make a private build for yourself or get someone to do it for you Smile

i want whitelisting and better control interface myself, but why all the whining? i'm sure rue has a life of his own and probably doesn't want to give it all for adblock!
Hanu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of this discussion I decided not to use AdBlock.
ShunterAlhena

Quote:
Because of this discussion I decided not to use AdBlock.

Shock why? Everybody agrees it's a great piece of software! And as it's free it can be completely understood that the devs have other things to do! (an update would be nice anyway Wink )
SHODAN, System Shock
idbehold

What would be nice is if they kept an updated source file. I mean come on, if you're not going to work on it, atleast let others have a shot a finishing your work.

[edit by wonko: vulgarity *bad*, idbehold]
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

idbehold: the source is available if you want to work on it. Nothing (except the specter of unnecessary work, maybe) is stopping anyone from updating/upgrading/adding new features.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
idbehold

Yes yes, the 20 month old source.
http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/adblock/adblock/content/
ShunterAlhena

wonkothesane wrote:
...the specter of unnecessary work...

I thought about doing it, but I'm pretty lame in programming FF extensions... so I'd leave it to the pros... but then, can I take this quote as a statement that updating it is really unnecessary, as you'll do it? Sad Question
SHODAN, System Shock
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

idbehold: Actually, the latest XPI was updated eight or nine months ago, not twenty. rue had problems connecting to mozdev's CVS server and so stopped using it. Also, I'm trying to do you a favor here by stopping rue from banning you. I'm not going to work very hard at it, though, so consider yourself warned.

ShunterAlhena: It's not a question of whether we will do the work -- we already have.

Pretty much any work done on 0.5 right now will be completely wasted once 0.6 comes out, so there's not much incentive for anyone else to bother.
ShunterAlhena

wonkothesane wrote:
ShunterAlhena: It's not a question of whether we will do the work -- we already have.

Pretty much any work done on 0.5 right now will be completely wasted once 0.6 comes out, so there's not much incentive for anyone else to bother.

Great to hear! Very Happy
SHODAN, System Shock
idbehold

Well, can you show us the work you have so far? Maybe putting it in the place it should be?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: