The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

not blocking all elements

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003    Post subject: not blocking all elements Reply with quote

so i just started trying out adblock, and the first site i tried blocking stuff on is yahoo! mail. i can get it to block most of the pictures, but when an ad has multiple types of elements (some pictures, some just text which i presume is made part of the page's source) the non-picture elements don't go away. it seems pointless to block parts of the ads and not others. is there a way to fix this?

also, for banner ads, sometimes adblock can collapse that area of the page, and sometimes there's just a big white space where the ad would be. is there a way to make it collapse more often?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
First, many text/mixed-content ads are written by scripts. Click the 'Adblock' status-element to see all blockable page-elements -- ad-scripts should stand out.
Next, no- Adblock cannot directly parse and remove text-content. If you understant what Adblock does (filtering based on source-url), you'll know why this is.
Finally, to completely collapse ad-space: open Adblock's pref-window, and uncheck FastCollapse. This will slow down page-rendering a bit, since there's an additional reflow; you'll also see stuff jump as the elements collapse. But, the space will be gone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
ad-scripts should stand out.

can you explain this a little more in depth? when i'm on the yahoo site, i see generally 4-5 scripts, but i don't have much experience with them so i can't tell what they do or if they're related to ads or proper functioning of the website.

rue wrote:
Adblock cannot directly parse and remove text-content. If you understant what Adblock does (filtering based on source-url), you'll know why this is.

bummer. i had a feeling that was the case, but i thought i'd ask.

rue wrote:
Finally, to completely collapse ad-space: open Adblock's pref-window, and uncheck FastCollapse. This will slow down page-rendering a bit, since there's an additional reflow; you'll also see stuff jump as the elements collapse. But, the space will be gone.

thanks.

Also, i was curious what people on this forum had to say about adblock vs this. i've been using the second since it was easier, but that was mostly because i had not at the time been to this forum and seen stuff like recommended lists of terms to block.
CyberSlug

Anonymous wrote:
Also, i was curious what people on this forum had to say about adblock vs this. i've been using the second since it was easier, but that was mostly because i had not at the time been to this forum and seen stuff like recommended lists of terms to block.

Same here. Ironically, the only problem I've ever noticed with the CSS ad-blocking method is this: see http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=107

CyberSlug wrote:
Same here. Ironically, the only problem I've ever noticed with the CSS ad-blocking method is this: see http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=107

one "problem" i've had with the css thing is that it blocks *too* many things. it ended up blocking a portion of www.bestbuy.com's main page. Now, granted, whatever it was probably was rightfully considered an ad, since everything on a site like bestbuy could be considered an ad, but that really messes with a user's ability to buy stuff through online websites.

and i'd take out the line of code that causes that ad to be blocked, but i can't tell which it is.

thankfully, with the way i have adblock set now, it seems to be doing well blocking ads i don't want but leaving ads i do.
rue
Developer

The css-method is terrible. I'm not sure where its overhead is incurred, but it's definitely there somewhere.
Plus, I've yet to encounter an ad whose source was less revealing than width/height characteristics.
Adblock forevuh -!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: