The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compensate websites

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004    Post subject: Compensate websites Reply with quote

Since you will be essentially stealing from websites when you bloxk their ads (the way they make their living), will you then be paying compensation to the websites owners (like myself) that will suffer due to your ignorance and theft?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you never switch channels or go to the bathroom during commercial breaks when watching TV?

stab and twist! good show old boy!
G

Theft? I don't recall agreeing to view any ads on your (or any other) site. I understand that your business model depends on it, but I have no legal or moral obligation to support it. Until you force people to click through an agreement stating that they will not block ads on your site, you have no right to claim we're "stealing" anything.

Oh, and please don't call me ignorant -- just because you disagree with my position doesn't mean that I don't understand yours.
Chris2

Perhaps if more website owners would have respected their visitors adblocking wouldn't be so popular. Wasn't always like that, but too many greedy site owners have become more interested in running ads than worthy content.

Suggestion: Create a site that is ad-free, pay-only to enter. If the content is worthwhile it's a perfect solution for both you and your visitors.
Chris2

.....and remember, less is better. That's a mistake most website owners make.
Just really comes down to y'all have your own selves to blame.
IceDogg

exactly right! If I had .01$ for every ad I've seen in my lifetime I'd be richer then Bill Gates himself. And why should I have to view them?? I'll never understand people that think like you. I was on the web before so many ads was all over the place..and people seem to support their sites just fine without them. If you can't afford to have a site fine don't have one. I never ask you to put up a site! And I know a little about hosting a site, it's not as expensive as many Webmasters would have you believe. If site owners hadn't gotten greedy this would not be happening. so like my friend here said, you have your self to blame.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005    Post subject: Re: Compensate websites Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Since you will be essentially stealing from websites when you bloxk their ads (the way they make their living), will you then be paying compensation to the websites owners (like myself) that will suffer due to your ignorance and theft?

Sure, if you pay for the 'theft' of my time and bandwidth when I download your ads on my 56k modem.

Text-based relevant ads and unobtrusive smallish ads I've never had much of a problem with. But lately, browsing on so many sites with huge ads that weigh far more than the content itself has been really difficult and time-consuming on a 56K modem. Which is a major reason why ad-blockers have become so popular. Keeping ads relevant and having a decent content-to-advertising ratio (so that most users won't be bothered with your site to start with) sounds like a better plan for long-term success to me.

If you piss your users off, your users will turn against you (and there are plenty of other sites offering alternatives to what you offer, no doubt). So content is king. And not pissing off your userbase too much. I think that pretty much sums it up.
hank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005    Post subject: Attention is choice. Distraction is theft of time. Reply with quote

Advertising, in one sense, is like spamming.

If they bother a million people, they make money from a hundred.

If someone prevents them from bothering people, they don't make money.

The people who think, pay attention, and build things like software are smart partly because they avoid distraction and can focus.

The people who pay without thinking for whatever junk is put in front of them are the target for the advertising.

My rule is, if I've had an ad thrust in my face for it, I NEVER buy it. If I find it by searching for good reviews and recommendations, I consider it, unless I've been bothered by advertising for it.

It limits buying things to things that may be worth buying.

Advertisers hate that. Because advertising isn't worth buying, IF you're trying to reach people who think before they buy. Advertising is of, by, and for people who don't have the ability to avoid or understand distractions.

Advertising is theft of time and attention.

Life is what you have left after avoiding all such distractions.

When I can't use AdBlock, I use Lynx -- text browsing. If I can't find it in text, and can't avoid ads, life is too short to waste on filtering what I want from the distracting visual garbage.

Consider a library.

Consider the Internet.

The Internet used to be like a library in which you could walk through the door into the echoing, inhabited space and call out your question and get answers -- good, bad, tangential, unrelated, but human answers.

Now, the Web is like a library full of hucksters and flashing billboards and distractions.

Pay attention. Use AdBlock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005    Post subject: Ask for donations instead Reply with quote

There's PLENTY of sites that don't need ads. A simple donation link/button does the trick for most of the sites needing funds.

Take a look at most of the torrent sites out there. I never see any ads even with Adblock disabled, and it's because people support the site by donating.

I even donate money myself if I think it's a good site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: