The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi. I have an idea to make this KICK *** software better !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric martin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003    Post subject: Hi. I have an idea to make this KICK *** software better !!! Reply with quote

I downloaded a little program for IE that blocked all ads by blocking servers they used. IT is kick *** software.

Is this possible for adblock ? We should block servers using host files .

What is your opinion ?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this spam?
Uh.. see the thread on importing filter-files: here.
martin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

If it sounded like spam.

Kind of new to this software. i use mostly windows.

There is software called adblock 3.2 for internet explorer that uses the host file.

I thought this software was more of a image blocker.

I was wrong. My mistake.
jiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the "other" adblock, distributed by linkz.com. if you read their user agreement, you'll see that in addition to blocking popups and ads, their software hijacks your browser to their proprietary search engine whenever you'd normally get a "url not found" type error. in other words, a commercial scam masquerading as an ad-blocker.

btw, there's a potential lawsuit for trademark infringement here, if your adblock came before theirs.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiro:
Yea, but theirs is free too :P
Also, their user-agreement spells the name AD-BLOCK. We've changed our name a bit, as well -- starting out AdBlock, but now lowercasing the 'b'. I think theirs came after ours, but I can't be sure.. and, in the end, the only concessions would be courtesy.

I haven't used their software, so I can't tell if it really messes with stuff, or just quietly "helps", as they claim. But, it's clearly standalone software, being managed from the "Add/Remove" control-panel.
We have a dependancy on the browser. Technically, we're "The Adblock Project", and our product is "Adblock for Mozilla".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: