The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can't uninstall 0.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
milko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: can't uninstall 0.3 Reply with quote

Thanks to Firebird's 'Get new plugins page' not being up to date, I accidentally installed Adblock 0.3. It doesn't work. I'd love to try 0.5 out, but I can't remove 0.3 and your FAQ isn't helping me much. Doubtless it's my mistake, but if you could help out I'd be grateful.

chrome.rdf - yes, I have one of these files in mozillafirebird\chrome
corresponding 'overlays' directory - wtf?
xul cache - wtf?
adblock.jar - no such file present despite the plugin being installed.
installed-chrome.txt - no reference to adblock.jar
Org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link might clear up things a bit.

You could also check out this Mozilla page (mostly accurate even is it's not for Firebird).
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

milko:
Even better, here's step-by-step directions on how to remove older versions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. For reference, it was the whole thing of it installing things into the Phoenix folder that caused me to miss them, once I deleted the adblock.jar file from there it finally went. Why does it do that?

Wait, I spoke too soon. Although following those instructions removed Adblock from the Tools menu, it was still listed (and still impossible to disable) in the Extensions part of the Preferences window.

I've now removed all Mozilla/Firebird/Phoenix folders from my computer. I've removed all registry entries to either. When I reinstall Firebird 0.7 it has no flash plugin, no skin, no settings at all. But Adblock still appears in the Extensions. What the hell is going on?

Frustrating...I'm in IE again now Sad
milko

Aaand, further update!

Back in Firebird 0.7. Still the same problem, but I tried to install Adblock 0.5 again. It worked! Well, it installed and said it was successful. And the entry for it in Extensions appears to have changed, and I can even disable/enable it now.

Unfortunately, it has no entry in the Tools menu, so I can't actually use it in any way! Or uninstall it, so as to be on topic Smile
Org

I can't really understand what's so difficult in following clear orders? Read the instructions again and pay special attention to application directory and profile directory. If you are able to locate both places and just blindly follow the instructions, it's very easy. Really.
milko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 'help'. But instructions were entirely followed, including searching the hard disk (with hidden and system files etc) for files even resembling the ones described, and something's still missing.

Where in "I've now removed all Mozilla/Firebird/Phoenix folders from my computer. I've removed all registry entries to either." do you think I'm missing the application and/or profile directory?

Since you're not on the developer credits anywhere I'll assume you're just a passing idiot rather than an example of the tech support the extension can normally achieve.
Org

milko wrote:
Where in "I've now removed all Mozilla/Firebird/Phoenix folders from my computer. I've removed all registry entries to either." do you think I'm missing the application and/or profile directory?

Amazingly enough, that's precisely what I think. My line of thought goes like this: 1) user installs Adblock 2) user removes Adblock 3) Adblock is not totally removed -> user has missed something in step 2. In your case I could be wrong of course, but that's just my line of thought. No offence. I have personnally managed to uninstall V0.3, V0.4 and V0.5 from Firebird in WinXP, so I have a reason to assume that the instructions of rue do work if you follow them.

milko wrote:
Since you're not on the developer credits anywhere I'll assume you're just a passing idiot rather than an example of the tech support the extension can normally achieve.

"Passing idiot"... LOL! That's me :-). I'm not an Adblock developer. I'm just a regular, if happy user of this fine piece of software.
rue
Developer

Relax guys- it's just a bunch of 1s and 0s.
milko:
It sounds like you still have remnants of the prior-install.
The first of Org's original links should assist in making sure you've caught everything.
ankh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003    Post subject: Same problem, same experience, same quandary Reply with quote

I'm using Mac OSX.
I've gone through the same steps.

I've tried looking for a file or folder or content reference to
xul cache -- finds nothing.

I've looked for 'intalled-chrome.txt'
and, in case that spelling was off by one, also looked for
'installed-chrome.txt' -- found neither.

As a medical doctor I know says --- "in theory, theory and practice give the same results, but in practice they don't"

I suspect this is such a case -- y'all know exactly how the version of Adblock provided yesterday or last week, respectively, from

<http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/#adblock>

in theory, should be removed -- but in practice, either OSX (for me)
has mishandled your files, or, the I and the earlier poster are the first two who proofread and tested the removal instructions, and found the results not as expected.

Or you've invented a good technique for imbedding unremovable and unfindable code in users' computers, for which you could be well paid (wry grin).
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ankh:
Texturizer.net needs to update their listing.
As noted earlier: step-by-step directions on how to remove older versions.
I'll note- it is odd that installed-chrome.txt can't be found. Perhaps it's a hidden file.. or in a package?
milko

Apologies for the 'idiot' line. I was having a crappy day and the annoyance of this failure to uninstall was not helped by the patronising reply. But still, I shouldn't have responded like that.

Anyway:

Yes, I appreciate that something isn't being removed properly, that much is obvious. What I want is a bit more assistance than 'the profile folder and xul cache' which is all (as far as I can tell, maybe I'm an idiot) I can find in those links. Having deleted the entire mozilla folder and contents and registry keys, and searched all of my hard disk including hidden files for anything containing the letters 'xul', I'm at a loss for where else they're supposed to be.
Obviously it's somewhere! How about someone suggests other locations these files gets installed to?
Org

You said you use Firebird, but I didn't notice if you specified your operating system. You talked about deleting registry keys, so I assume you are using Windows. Files are in slightly different locations depending on the version of your OS.

A real world example might clear things up. Here is the location of keyfiles on my system (WinXP):
  • App folder version of adblock.jar (if present)
    E:\Program Files\mozilla.org\MozillaFirebird\chrome\adblock.jar
  • App folder version of chrome.rdf
    E:\Program Files\mozilla.org\MozillaFirebird\chrome\chrome.rdf
  • Directory named 'overlayinfo'
    E:\Program Files\mozilla.org\MozillaFirebird\chrome\overlayinfo\
  • XUL Cache
    E:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\some-random-string\XUL.mfl
  • Profile version of adblock.jar
    E:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\some-random-string\chrome\adblock.jar
  • Profile version of chrome.rdf
    E:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\some-random-string\chrome\chrome.rdf
  • Directory named 'overlayinfo'
    E:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\some-random-string\chrome\overlayinfo\
  • userContent.css
    E:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\some-random-string\chrome\userContent.css
  • installed-chrome.txt (I had this only in my app folder, but YMMV, so check also the profle chrome folder)
    E:\Program Files\mozilla.org\MozillaFirebird\chrome\installed-chrome.txt
Please note that in most Windows versions 'Application Data' is a hidden directory and Windows might not show it to you with the default settings. If you are using Win95/98/ME, that directory is not in your profile but in the main Windows-directory. The "username" is of course your Windows login-name. The "some-random-string" is just that, a string randomly selected by Firebird when it first created your profile. It's easy to figure out, since it's most probably the only file or directory in the directory "Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default". Also note that you most certainly have installed Firebird to some other location than "E:\Program Files\mozilla.org\MozillaFirebird" in my example.

If this example still doesn't seem to help, please take a closer look at the two URL's I posted earlier and compare them against my file locations in WinXP. They explain the location and name of most files under different operating systems. After that you should be able to follow the step-by-step removal instructions from rue.
milko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!

Thank you very much.
bomfog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003    Post subject: can't uninstall 0.3 Reply with quote

milko wrote:
Hooray!

Thank you very much.

It might be interesting to know what the problem finally turned out to be--help improve that tech support!

On the other hand, I'm coming in late, and everbody seems to have moved on. I'll try to keep up better in the future Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: