The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock Still downloading images

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003    Post subject: Adblock Still downloading images Reply with quote

I am running AdBlock v0.5 and Firebird 0.7 on WinME. In the Tools/AdBlock menu I have selected the Remove Ads button. I have cleared my cache, and when I log onto a site with known ads, they momentarily display before disappearing. Also the status bar at the bottom of the window shows the ad url being downloaded. This suggests to me that AdBlock is still downloading the images before hiding them, rather than stopping them from downloading. I thought that AdBlock was supposed to stop them downloading in the first place (or am I testing incorrectly?).

Any comments?

Nick

p.s. I was the guest who initiated this thread and have joined the forum because I like the product.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated to the latest nightly?
And, is FastCollapse enabled? (it should be.)
NJH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not using the latest nightly, just what downloads by default on the Firebird Extensions page. To load the latest nightly, do I have to uninstall the previous copy or can I install it on top of the current version? If I have to, how do I uninstall it? The FAQ says I can do it from the options menu. I cannot find a DeInstall option, only a disable option.

Also, how do I enable FastCollapse or will that be obvious with the latest nightly?
rue
Developer

NJH:
Is this the page you downloaded Adblock from?
It doesn't sound like you're running v.5, which is why I ask.

Yes, that was the page. The file it downloads is adblock-firebird-0.3.xpi which, judging from its file name is only v0.3. Can you confirm this?
rue
Developer

Guest:
Yes, they link to an old version.
I contacted their webadmin, requesting an updated entry.. and they said "not right now." A subsequent request to remove our listing entirely was ignored.
After you finish extricating everything, drop a line to their web-guy, and let him know what a pleasure it's been.
NJH

I have followed your instructions and installed 0.5. It all seems to work now. Great.

It was me who posted as Guest last time. I forgot to log in.
NJH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have e-mailed David Tenser but so far, no reply.

When I followed your instructions to uninstall v0.3, a number of the files did not exist. Also some of the files did not have any AdBlock references in them. When I installed v0.5, my original block list was already installed. This should not really have happened if I really had deleted everything from v0.3. Also, a number of other extensions I had installed disappeared. At least v0.5 appears to be working OK.

While this link still downloads v0.3 which is beyond your control, it may be an idea if you could write a v0.3 uninstaller if it is not too difficult. It looks like a number of other people on the forum are in the same boat as I was. Perhaps you could then create a sticky post with the uninstaller and a link to your latest nightly.
rue
Developer

NJH:
Just some quick responses in point-form:
1. The removal instructions were combined for "all older versions", but a few steps only applied to v.4.
2. Your filter-list is stored in mozilla's preference-file. There's no need to remove it between upgrades.
3. The manual-removal instructions are known to deinstall your other profile-extensions. Scanning the thread, you'll see it's possible to edit some stuff, avoiding this. However, editing RDF isn't easy, and most users will prefer to just reinstall.
3. The file linked by texturizer.net is now v.5 -- the v.3-file is now a copy of v.5, renamed. At least we wont have any new users facing the uninstall-issue.
NJH

Looks like it will be OK from now on. It is a pity that the file on texturizer still has the 0.3 file name. I hope it will not cause too much confusion, and I hope the link is continually updated to your latest builds, but this is all beyond your control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: