The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current build number?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanny Chambers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003    Post subject: Current build number? Reply with quote

Is there any way, short of uninstalling and reinstalling, to discover the build number of the current release? Sometimes I stumble across a mention in the forum, and learn I'd missed a couple of revisions.

While I'm whining: is there some reason why the Adblock pages are largely faded to illegibility?

rue, I hope you realize that if Adblock weren't both wonderful and indispensible, no one would bother whining. Smile
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanny:
Everything you brought up has been well-considered. Here's the reasoning behind:
There's currently no automated means to "discover" build updates -- any announcements are entered by hand. Since Adblock frequently undergoes periods of heavy updating (within the same day -!), it was decided to only announce major-builds, and call the incremental updates "nightlies".
I update the changelog for each nightly.
I recently installed Adblock on a friend's PC, and was a bit shocked to see how faded indeed the site looks. My macs, despite a higher gamma, show darker colours. The design is temporary, though. We'll have a much cleaner -- friendlier -- site, before too long.

I'm in WaMCom 1.3.1 under Mac OS 9.2.2, using a calibrated CRT monitor. Here's a screenshot: http://www.hummingbirds.net/adblock.jpg. It's not a gamma issue.

I guess I don't know where to find the changelog. I'd just like to able to decide if it's worth uninstalling Adblock, relaunching mozilla, waiting for mozdev to respond, reinstalling Adblock, quitting, and relaunching mozilla again. Whew!
rue
Developer

Guest:
Hey- are you a graphic designer? Without knowing how your screen is set, I still can't compare (whitepoint -- hard+adjusted, channel gammas.. even the phosphors' setting).
Your picture looks fine over here.. except: the header-font on the project name is supposed to be serif. I'll check the css in a bit, but that's really weird. Even IE for windows displays it proper.
The Changelog is linked below the installer, on the Dev. page. I'll try and label the nightly's link-text with the build number from now on. Don't hold me to it -- I might forget. But I'll try.
Lanny Chambers

Yes, I'm one of those dreaded designers. Nothing special about my monitor calibration, just the ColorSync routine.

I forgot to mention: I set the default browser font to Arial 12 when I got tired of squinting at Times. Serif typefaces just don't work very well at small sizes on the web.

I was comparing your pages to the rest of mozdev. I think screenshots should look like they do in real life, not faded back.
rue
Developer

Lanny:

Totally offtopic, but I have quite a few legacy macs, as well. Here's my collection of os9-stuff -- little things that make it a pleasure to use.
I've also saved Relax from abandon. After scoping your website, I'd say it's right up your alley.
McMurmel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... my mozilla says color for the headline is #E6E6F0... or r:230/255 g:230/255 b:240/255 if that ain't too bright...?
Glenn

rue wrote:
I recently installed Adblock on a friend's PC, and was a bit shocked to see how faded indeed the site looks. My macs, despite a higher gamma, show darker colours. The design is temporary, though. We'll have a much cleaner -- friendlier -- site, before too long.
Adblock's homepage has always had that faded look to me for as long as I've been using it (somewhere around v0.3, I think), I just thought it was some kind of design perk. Laughing
Lanny Chambers

rue wrote:
Totally offtopic, but I have quite a few legacy macs, as well. Here's my collection of os9-stuff -- little things that make it a pleasure to use.

Thanks. I've already tried most, kept some. My favorite OS9 goodie is TaskMenuBar, a brilliant launcher-switcher that's what the X Dock should have been. It resides in the menubar (duh), always visible but never in the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: