The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installs OK, doesnt appear to be running with FireBird 0.7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomChiverton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003    Post subject: Installs OK, doesnt appear to be running with FireBird 0.7 Reply with quote

I've been using the .4 version for some time with great sucess, but the .5 nightly and non-nightly both seem to fail.
I've followed the uninstall instructions (to a point, there were no references in some of the files, it boiled down to rm'ing the .jar and editing chrome.rdf) and gone to the install link, and it reports all went OK, but I don't get an adblock popup menu on graphics, or on the tools menu. Post-uninstall it was no longer listed in 'extension', post-install it is, but the 'options' button is still greyed out. The ctrl-shift-p shortcut does nothing.

Any hints ?
funkdoobiest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Also would appreciate some help here.
rue
Developer

Editing chrome.rdf was not a good idea.
If you installed to profile, then what follows will simultaneously deintall the other profile-extensions.. but hey- Adblock is worth it :P
First, pop a tab for the locations of necessary keyfiles.
Now, keep that tab open, and head here: step-by-step directions for removing older versions.
TomChiverton

rue wrote:
Editing chrome.rdf was not a good idea.
If you installed to profile, then what follows will simultaneously deintall the other profile-extensions.. but hey- Adblock is worth it :P

It was because of not wanting to reinstall all my other extension that I choose to edit it.
It looked obvious - just remove anything mentioning adblock, right ?
rue
Developer

No, the overlayinfo directory has some rdf-files which correspond to chrome.rdf's entries. You can manually edit them, but then you need to remove the xul cache (from profile) as well.
Lastly, if you see "installed-chrome.txt" in the same directory, remove all lines regarding Adblock from it.
In the end, you've basically followed all the instructions linked -- just instead of removing chrome.rdf / overlayinfo, you've edited them.
TomChiverton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003    Post subject: Got it working Reply with quote

Followed instructions as before, but this time went into the overlays/*/*/*rdf files and removed any lines relating to adblock. if this left an empty seq I removed that too.

All was well after that, and I'm now happily blocking Flash :-)

Shouldn't be a problem anymore now there is an uninstall, but thought I'd whack the solution here for people stuck trying to upgrade to .5 :-)
hank@spamcop.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003    Post subject: Here's how newbies get v0.3-today-then need help immediately Reply with quote

I'm really glad you're helping people with old versions -- because they're going to continue showing up until the easy to find version is updated!

New to Firebird, people go as I did to the easily found, clearly organized, and apparently often updated reference for acquiring extensions

<http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/>

Look for Adblock; find:

<<http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/#adblock>

Click the Install link, and automagically get version 0.3 -- today!

Then the fun begins ..I
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drop a line to their webadmin right now.
We've already updated with database@mozdev, but apparently they don't link to the database.. despite indicating otherwise.
hank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003    Post subject: Meanwhile, I went in circles, returning here today Reply with quote

So I managed (Mac OSX, Firebird 0.7.1) to nuke everything, eventually, in trying to get rid of Adblock v0.3 -- once I had rooted out every mention of both Firebird and Phoenix, I could at least get rid of Firebird.

Downloaded a new copy, started from scratch. Avoided any other extension, came directly here, downloaded today's Adblock.

It worked fine for about two hours -- this time, there was a little "Adblock" tab on many of the individual advertising panels, clickable to remove the ad -- CUTE!

Then Adblock simply disappeared from the screen, and from the Tools menu, while apparently remaining somehow in the files -- it's gone, it won't come back, but it won't go away either (I can't install it again because it is "already installed" and I can't remove it because it isn't showing any user interface).

Not ready for OSX yet? I know OSX is also still a beta (10.2.8). Sigh.

I can, I suppose, delete the Phoenix/Profile folder again, losing all my settings, after spending most of the morning recreating them.

I'll wait and see what comes up here first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003    Post subject: Re: Installs OK, doesnt appear to be running with FireBird 0 Reply with quote

TomChiverton wrote:
I've been using the .4 version for some time with great sucess, but the .5 nightly and non-nightly both seem to fail.

Me, too: I was using .3 successfully for a few months. Wanted to upgrade to .5. I uninstalled .3 (successfully, unlike some of the other posters above) and installed .5 build 16 - no problem with the installation, but the program doesn't seem to be working: right-clicking and selecting "adblock image" has no effect at all, and also the function to identify ad-blockable elements doesn't identify anything.

That seems self-contradictory: if the context menu includes options to "adblock image" and "adblock iframe", why does the program fail to identify adblockable elements when clicking on "adblock" in the status bar?

I tried this on several sites with plenty of ads. I'm using Firebird .7 and WinXP.

Thanks.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
build 17 was posted a few hours ago.
I'm not sure it fixes the problem, so give it a try and check back with your results.

No luck. I've tried installing and uninstalling a few different versions, to be precise:

1. Build 16 installed fine, but no luck.
2. "Deinstall" didn't work fully, so I had to manually delete some files as per your instructions re 0.3 posted elsewhere.
3. Build 17 did not install - I got an error message saying "incompatible version" or something like that.
4. Manual uninstall again.
5. Reinstalled successfully, using the link at texturizer (.5 masquerading as .3)

btw, I was pretty happy with .3 except that it didn't filter ads from downloading.

Any suggestions?
rue
Developer

Guest:
Build 17, pass2 is posted -- and synchronized with texturizer's this time.
Which part of build 16's deinstallation failed?
hank

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003    Post subject: It's better for me, here's what I did Reply with quote

Removed everything to do with Phoenix or Mozilla, emptied the trash, restarted, ran the (new) Cocktail, redid bindings, prefs, emptied caches, ran chore list, restarted, came up without the finder, restarted, no problems. downloaded new copy of Firebird, put in a new folder in the boot disk Applications folder, came here, installed Adblock ten minutes ago.

Works now.

rue wrote:
Guest:
Build 17, pass2 is posted -- and synchronized with texturizer's this time.
Which part of build 16's deinstallation failed?

Build 17 is now working. Thanks!

The deinstallation did not remove files that were "in use" because fb was running, including adblock.jar, etc. and once you close fb, you can't access adblock's deinstall function. (fb .7, winxp).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: