The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bugs in latest build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003    Post subject: Bugs in latest build Reply with quote

Random crashes on some pages, overlay flash does not work (can't right click once its oberlayed)
AllenZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003    Post subject: D1 Reply with quote

Is there a way to get the D1 build? The random crashes make this one unuseable. These type things would be a good reason to keep a few previous versions available. I've come to depend upon AdBlock. Great piece of work.
John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace your adblock.jar in your chrome folder with this one
http://homepage.mac.com/rue/Adblock/test-v/adblock.jar

works great Smile its d10 by the way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I was using D1, but decided to do a totally clean install today. I guess that was a mistake Smile
rue
Developer

Guest:
That wasn't a mistake -- the latest version will always be the most stable.
A stable build was posted late last evening. An unstable one had been up for some hours during the day, but it was addressing a greater instability with applets, present since d1.
Flashblock is fixed; the update posted. If anyone would point me at the problem-pages, I'll take a look.
John

Latest build isn't quite stable as d10,
Latest (d12) crashes here http://sportschat.rediff.com/score/in_match832.html
- i have adblock rules that block flash and banner on that page and if adblock is disabled it does not crash
Org

John, I was unable to make Adblock d12 crash on that site (I'm using Firebird 0.7, WinXP). What is your Adblock rule for that site? I could test the same rule. (The rule I used for testing was "*/uim/common/*".)
rue
Developer

John:
No crash here, either.
Since you linked to a jar-file above, I'll mention: manual-updating is inadvisable. Adblock's removal-routine clears the xul-cache, among other things.
John

my rule was : http://imsports.rediff.com/uim/common/*
rue
Developer

John and Allenz:
Detail your setups: browser/build, platform, other extensions, etc..
Org

John, no crash with your rule. Both Firebird and Adblock V0.5 d2 Nightly build 12 were completely stable on that site. Filtering worked as expected.
Wolfey

With the latest version (Adblock 0.5, d2 build 12), if Fast Collapse is enabled, I crash on that site if I have John's wildcard filter or the Flash file in Adblock's list. However, if Fast Collapse is disabled, it won't crash at all.

This was tested in:

Firebird 0.7 (Fresh Profile)
[Build Information: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7]

Mozilla 1.5 (Fresh Profile)
[Build Information: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007]
Org

I can confirm this Wolfey. I re-tested the site with Fast Collapse enabled. Just as you said, Firebird crashed (FB V0.7, WinXP, Adblock 0.5-d2-b12). I missed this earlier, because I don't use Fast Collapse.

I can also confirm another finding of John. Sometimes clicking the flash overlay after a Ctrl-Shift-F does nothing.
rue
Developer

d2 Build 13 is posted.
The problem was an iframe patch landed friday. The patch was universal, but is now restricted to iframes.
Flash Overlay is operating normally, but its behaviour changed to accomodate the new, more thorough capacity of Adblock v.5. Every embed-element now gets its own overlay. Unfortunately, when the embed is an object-element's child, it doesn't respond to right-clicks. The new behaviour is:
Just left-click the overlay.
Wolfey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it, and it's working on those sites with the filters in question, without crashing Smile
(After deinstalling the last build in Mozilla, I kept crashing when going to adblock.mozdev.org...And, by an odd fluke, there was one item in prefs.js that was causing the problem. I was blocking an image at adblock.mozdev.org, and removing it fixed the problem. This problem didn't occur when repeated in Firebird, and why it happened in the first place with Mozilla is beyond me Confused)

BTW...I almost thought it was acting up on GameFAQs, as sometimes the empty space wasn't closed up...But on further inspection, the ones that slip by are enclosed in <DIV> tags. Seems they've found a way to bypass Adblock's ability to collapse that space Shock
(After blocking the IFrames, images, and scripts on the page, keep refreshing it - You'll see the empty space sooner or later)
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfey:
Sometimes the "GameSpot" text jumps up or down, depending on the preceeding content -- even with everything blocked. The jump-space is about one text-line in height.
If that's what you meant, I whipped up visual-confirmation of this being proper behaviour: div-test.
If it isn't, a screenshot would be helpful.
Wolfey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it jump up and down before by a single line, as your test has shown - It has been like that with the older builds, and it does not bother me.

Of course, if "Fast Collapse" is enabled, there is the chance that if one of the ads loaded is enclosed in a set of <DIV> tags, it won't collapse that space, as shown here. You can even click on that "empty" space, as the link still works. This does not occur if "Fast Collapse" is disabled.
rue
Developer

Wolfey:
How amusing: only after you post the shot do I finally get that exact case on refresh :P
The good news is: the image is properly blocked, and FastCollapse -- as expected -- is not collapsing the space. I guess I still haven't explained well-enough:
FastCollapse bypasses the final removal-routine, leaving the space the element occupies. For anything with Width / Height manually defined, those dimensions will remain.
No content is loaded, but the space does remain.
rue
Developer

append >
The reason for the seeming inconsistency on GameFaqs is because a script writes the ads half the time. When blocked, there's nothing to show.
That image is what happens the other half (or less). And, the empty-element shows.
Wolfey

rue wrote:
Wolfey:
How amusing: only after you post the shot do I finally get that exact case on refresh Razz

Just like with trying to capture the redraw-issue with IFrames awhile back (now fixed) - It's all in the timing Laughing

rue wrote:
FastCollapse bypasses the final removal-routine, leaving the space the element occupies. For anything with Width / Height manually defined, those dimensions will remain.
No content is loaded, but the space does remain.

So this is the reason why that particular <DIV> tag isn't being blocked? I never knew that before...Thanks for pointing that out Smile

BTW, why are items with manually defined widths and/or heights left alone when Fast Collapse is enabled? Just curious to know about this, that's all.

(I thought it was a bug in Adblock at first - That's why I was wondering about it, as it was similar to the IFrame issue that occurred in one of the earlier builds)

rue wrote:
The reason for the seeming inconsistency on GameFaqs is because a script writes the ads half the time. When blocked, there's nothing to show.

Interesting to know that - Thanks for mentioning it Smile
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why are items with manually defined widths and/or heights left alone when Fast Collapse is enabled?"

Now, I get to quote myself:
rue wrote:
All this behaviour is because I haven't determined a way to force reflow on an element. In Adblock's context, just setting "visibility: hidden" does nothing. The current solution uses a window-timeout of zero to set [the css] after reflows have completed. I'm still looking for a better way.
Since window-timer events have lowest priority, all pending page-reflows are completed before Adblock's timeout is queued. The result is a second page-reflow -- where everything jumps -- and a longer perceived pageload.
When someone complained about loadtimes, I whipped up FastCollapse for them. It just bypasses the window-timeout, leaving the empty element intact.
Wolfey

(After searching the forums, I noticed you already mentioned what you quoted in another topic, and I didn't see it before...Sorry about that Embarassed)

As for "Fast Collapse"...To make sure I understand it right: Since it skips rebuilding the page, some things may not get blocked (which, in the cases I've mentioned, seem to be due to things with explicitly defined heights/widths). So if an element doesn't have a defined height/width, it will be collapsed (as it should be, since it would now be empty, and nothing in the code says it has to be a specific height/width), but it won't be collapsed if it has a defined height/width (since even if the content is removed, whatever it was in was explicitly told to be a certain height/width, and as such won't be collapsed)...Am I understanding this right?

Also, I just noticed this: When messing around with the CSS of some other sites (using the "test styles" bookmarklet), I tried setting visibility to "hidden" for their <DIV> tags and, as you mentioned, it doesn't work. Of course, since the ones that can't be blocked properly use explicit heights/widths, I just did what they did: I explicitly set the height and/or width values of those items to zero pixels (as well as setting visibility to "hidden", just in case Wink), and it took them out Smile

I'm not sure if that'll be of any use, but I wanted to mention it anyway just in case Smile
John

Hasn't anyone noticed the menu bug with the latest builds? have a look in Tools menu (Firebird), the seperator from under Options has moved up and there are two seperators under page info now!!!! ! Mad
rue
Developer

Hey- post a screenshot. I applied the attribute "position=3" a while back, trying to raise the menuitem alongside the other managers. This did nothing under moz1.3.1.

[update: patch landed -- menuitem situates proper, now]
Org

rue wrote:
This did nothing under moz1.3.1.

Rue, this sounds like you don't use Firebird. Do you? If not, may I ask why?

This is a bit off-topic, sorry, but I'm curious why anyone would prefer Mozilla over Firebird. Mozilla is a fine program, but personally I couldn't think of a single reason to use Mozilla anymore after Firebird reached V0.6 level (around last May, IIRC).
rue
Developer

Org:
My setup is 100% apple. I only run mozilla on my legacy machines -- os8.6 - 9; they lack Safari.
Org

... and it seems that Firebird requires MacOS X. Too bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: