The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Adblock & GMail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004    Post subject: Re: Adblock & GMail Reply with quote

Hello there.

I use the rules that have been stickied in one of the posts in this forum, and it seems to block GMail from opening an e-mail of mine.

The filter is:
/[\W\d](onlineads?|ad(banner|click|-?flow|frame|ima?g(es?)?|_id|log|serv(er|e)?|stream|_string|s|trix|type|vertisements?|v|vert|xchange)?)[\W\d]/

The address is:
"http://gmail.google.com/gmail?view=cs&search=all&th=fda15fb0ad7616&zxeaddccbade59a8d766265185"

which is loaded in an IFRAME - which Adblock blocks - so I can't see the e-mail :-/

Could anyone tell me what part of the regular expression matches with the address? (my regexp isn't that good Smile)

On that note.. could you please please please implement whitelisting?
I read in the FAQ that it has been given the infamous "soon" timescale - can anyone tell me a little bit more?

Cheers then!

Eddie
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've highlighted the parts of the RegExp that are triggering on your URL, and also the part of the URL they are triggering on.

/[\W\d](onlineads?|ad(banner|click|-?flow|frame|ima?g(es?)?|_id|log|serv(er|e)?|stream|_string|s|trix|type|vertisements?|v|vert|xchange)?)[\W\d]/

An here is what they are matching:
"http://gmail.google.com/gmail?view=cs&search=all&th=fda15fb0ad7616&zxeaddccbade59a8d766265185"

To solve the problem you can remove the first \d from the filter. It will hardly affect your ad blocking.
JPWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat me to it kstahl!! Smile

Eddie, to be able to figure out this stuff for yourself, it is very useful to use a software tool caled Regex Coach.

See [url] http://weitz.de/files/regex-coach.exe [/url] for windows or

[url] http://weitz.de/files/regex-coach.tgz [/url] for Linux

This software tool allows you to see what part of the target string is triggering the regular expression and you ca step through the expressionevaluation to see which parts of the expresion trigger what.

JP
Eddie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys!

Eddie
Teknorat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to block the ads in Gmail?

thanks guys ..
kstahl
Support

Teknorat wrote:

No, not with Adblock at least.
guestagain

JPWhite wrote:

See [url] http://weitz.de/files/regex-coach.exe [/url] for windows or
step through the expressionevaluation to see which parts of the expresion trigger what.

Awesome. Thanks. now I don't need to load MS outlook to use this http://www.hlembke.de/prod/disruptor/expresbuilder.htm

you rock
dzm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004    Post subject: Really? Can't block ad iframe in GMail? Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:
Teknorat wrote:

No, not with Adblock at least.
Why?

I'm trying to craft a AdBlock filter for the ad iframe in gmail. As near as I can tell the Gmail ad iframe comes from:

http://gmail.google.com/gmail?view=ad&adkey=dqc5cfca2ukflqbr9gypsh9jlkds445&zx=4686487cdbd4fe16915397486

I created a filter for:

*view=ad&adkey=*

but the frame still loads.

Anyone care to clue me in about how Google is working around AdBlock?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell the ads are not loaded from an external source, there is no URL that Adblock can block.

They are created by an inline script, and incorporated directly into the HTML, much like the ads you get when searching with Google.

They don't have their own iFrame either, from what I can tell.

But if you find a way to block them, please tell us.
Eddie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump this old topic up - but there is a way to block GMail ads.

Take a look here:
http://www.gmailforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1375&st=0

Eddie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blocking suggestion on gmailforums.com doesn't work (I suspect Google has change the CSS tag being used).

This added to chrome/userContent.css will block the text of the ads:

tr[class="metatable cad"]{
display: none !important;
}

The content will still be downloaded by the browser, but it will not be displayed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried bloacking the text ads in gmail multiple times using adblock using diffeent filters, but either it wouldnd't block them, or gmail wouldn't load or mozilla would have a shitload of exception errors and close. Googles gmail javascript system is very complex and i am not going to spend a week looking through their code to block some ads i barely notice.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004    Post subject: Gmail, inside-out Reply with quote

Guest:
You don't need to spend a week looking -- I've done it for you.
Gmail's system uses script-writes to create "layers", which their virtual-links then hide and reveal as needed. For the ads, a function named CV_SendAdRequest() manually creates an http-stream and dumps the output to a pre-determined "ad element". If you replace the function, the ads stop.
I've rolled replacement into the upcoming release of Window-Q; Adblock v.6 will have its own methods.
What's more interesting is what happens when you replace the Gmail debug-function, DB_WriteDebugMsg() (which is normally disabled), with one that logs all messages to console. You get to see everything Gmail does. Behind the scenes, there's a spy function, DB_SendJSReport() which reports back freqently what you've been up to. This is likely how ads are trained for relevance.. at the expense of your privacy. Slow, but certain validation for sites like this.
stuff was here. (self-moderated)

Last edited by rue on Sat Aug 28, 2004; edited 1 time in total
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we already know that all our mails were going to be scanned when we signed up for Gmail? It is, as you say, the way Google can offer us those "relevant" ads.

In fact, I assume all mails will be scanned at least three times. First by the anti-virus I hope they are employing, next by the spam filter, and lastly by the ad service.

*shrug*

Last edited by kstahl on Sat Aug 28, 2004; edited 1 time in total
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

kstahl:
Gmail logs detailed activity -- how long you pause here or there, where your mouse moves, and what stuff you click. There was a company back in the 90's that specialized in determining what parts of a web-page interested readers most by running propietary algorithms on.. exactly that information.
Personally, I prefer a private party with no oversight not profile me in that way.
we love google. (redux)
bene

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004    Post subject: Google Ad Blocking Reply with quote

More as a response to the thread over at the gmail forum, but also directed at my use of any beta software/service.

As a current gmail user, using the service during a beta period, I think it is my responsibility to attempt to take advantage of the service (blocking ads, the likes) as much as possible.

However, this is coupled with the responsibility of letting someone in their organization know how I've managed (and I haven't managed yet) to bypass their technology.

That's the beta relationship, in my mind.

/bene.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: