The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Option: Remove "Adblock" Button from Statusbar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TychoQuad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004    Post subject: Option: Remove "Adblock" Button from Statusbar Reply with quote

The adblock button in the statusbar really annoys me, I have no use for it, and it takes up space which could be used for other stuff, like the browser's status. Please include an option to remove it.
MW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

here u go Smile

http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=328
TychoQuad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S GONE!!!

Thank you
Org

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions vary. I think the button is really useful. Clicking it can save you from typing ctrl-shift-a, and also it shows clearly the status of quickblock. There is plenty of unused space in the stutusbar of my Firefox.
TychoQuad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I asked for an option. I do know there are people who would love to fill all sorts of stuff into the statusbar, but until the statusbar becomes a standard Firefox toolbar, I'm doing all I can to keep anything and everything out of it. If there's anything I've learned from browsing the internet, it's that knowing where hyperlinks go before clicking on them is extremely handy, from a safety and peace of mind perspective, and the statusbar allows me to see this by simply hovering the link in question. Many links are very long, and it's extemely annoying to come across ones that don't fit in the bar, especially when you have something else eating statusbar space.

If that button was a toolbar button, I would probably add it to my toolbar. For that matter, the same with the popup blocker. I want them ALL OUT! The security padlock would be better placed between the URL bar and the Go button anyway.
Luftpost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A toolbar icon would be much appreciated.

I don't really like extensions that add pull down options, it takes quite a few clicks to access it.

It would be espically nice if you could turn off/on Adblock with a single click.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it makes sense to have it in the statusbar by the popup icon, since the functionality is similar. Having it appear/disappear like the popup icon probably wouldn't work, since the Adblock button is useful even when nothing on the current page is being blocked. I think a better solution than removing it would be to replace it with a smaller graphic (along the lines of the popup or "lock" icons). Then you could even take that to the next step and have the icon by grey when nothing on the current page is being blocked, but colored if something is. ^_^ I think that would be cool.
gumpish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdBlock is essential...

But it's really Just Not Cool for an extenstion to mess with one's user interface without providing an option to disable the extraneous UI.

Please make the status bar widget optional, in a way that doesn't involve editing/creating userchrome.css

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luftpost wrote:
[...]
It would be espically nice if you could turn off/on Adblock with a single click.
I second this.

Anonymous wrote:
I think it makes sense to have it in the statusbar by the popup icon, since the functionality is similar. Having it appear/disappear like the popup icon probably wouldn't work, since the Adblock button is useful even when nothing on the current page is being blocked. I think a better solution than removing it would be to replace it with a smaller graphic (along the lines of the popup or "lock" icons). Then you could even take that to the next step and have the icon by grey when nothing on the current page is being blocked, but colored if something is. ^_^ I think that would be cool.
I second this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Luftpost wrote:
[...]
I second this.

I third this. As it is, I have to go into the Extensions manager, click disable, restart Firefox, and repeat the process when I want to enable Adblock again. I usually just open the site in IE, which is unfortunate Very Happy
kstahl
Support

You can go to Tools > Adblock > Preferences to disable Adblock.

Or just use Ctrl+Shift+B
Org

If I suspect the page is not displayed correctly, I use either combination Ctrl-Shift-B (disable Adblock) Ctrl-R (reload page) or the IEView extension right-click "View this page in IE".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Luftpost wrote:
[...]
I second this.

I third this. As it is, I have to go into the Extensions manager, click disable, restart Firefox, and repeat the process when I want to enable Adblock again. I usually just open the site in IE, which is unfortunate Very Happy

I have to fourth the "Toolbar Icon" idea. Since we're eventually switching to FireFox & its cool interface, statusbar use is just unnecessary. Also I observed it collides with some other 'statusbar' modifier extensions. I'd like to ask project owners/members/... that; Is 'Toolbar' option is considered in the roadmap of such great Adblock?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Also I observed it collides with some other 'statusbar' modifier extensions.

Collides? With which extension?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: