The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ad Block and Netscape 7.1

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
brianK



Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 2
Location: Cranford, NJ USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003    Post subject: Ad Block and Netscape 7.1 Reply with quote

Windows 98, Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.4, IE 6.x


I mistakenly installed a version of Ad Block for Netscape 7.0 into Netscape 7.1. I got the message, "install successful". The only change I have experienced is that now, I cannot open Mail/News without it causing NS 7.1 to crash.

How do I fix this mess? I do have a tape drive with a pre-install backup of all the NS 7.1 files. Should I attempt a rollback, by overwriting the folder and profile folder with the backed-up files? Or, is there an easier solution.

I am fully comfortable editing prefs.js, the Registry, ini files and the like. Suggestions, advice gladly accepted.
_________________
Brian K
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
rue
Developer


Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Posts: 752

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh.. considering there is no version of Adblock for Netscape 7, and that it's clearly called "Adblock", I'm going to recommend against editing any config-files.
.
Definitely try rolling back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
n4cr2k



Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had success with adblock in both Netscape 7.1 and straight mozilla.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brianK



Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 2
Location: Cranford, NJ USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the problem by editing prefs.js. Actually the culprit turned out to be not from Adblock. I had previously added mnenhy a mail header editor. There were some ill-formed user_pref strings generated by this "utility".

I just commented out the bad entry, and will eventually delete it. It just goes to show that sometimes it's not the last thing you installed, but the next to last that you thought was stable.

Thanks.
_________________
Brian K
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group