The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blocking Flash components

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005    Post subject: Blocking Flash components Reply with quote

The Comcast mainpage has taken to incorporating ads into the Flash objects used for the top and left navigation bars (and made those bars the only means of navigating the site). The effective result of this is that if one attempts to use Adblock to kill those ads, the bars are killed as well, making site navigation impossible. I have the server name the ads are being streamed from (a different server from the one hosting the navbars), but can't block pieces of a Flash selectively. Would it be possible to add support for applying the Adblock filters against sites that active Flash files are accessing rather than just Firefox itself?
idbehold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you cant block the comcast ads, they have some smart people at comcast, the ads and nav menu are the same embedded flash, smart
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if you were to put the address of the server the ads are being loaded in your host file ?
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
What would happen if you were to put the address of the server the ads are being loaded in your host file ?

Same server also loads some of the regular graphics on the site, meaning you kill legitimate stuff with a hostfile edit. I was hoping to simply be able to kill stuff being fed from /RealMedia/Ads, which is the subdirectory ads are coming from. I could probably set up a Proxomitron filter to deal with it, but the entire point of Adblock for me was being able to adblock sites without having to leave the browser (Proxomitron would require looking at page/Flash source to determine a killable string, then adding the site to be blocked via a separate killfile).
VWFeature

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007    Post subject: A FLash Browser- is this a new trick? Reply with quote

On SPikeTV's site, http://www.spiketv.com/
the site seems to pop up its own flash browser!
http://www.spiketv.com/sitewide/fbml/flash_browser.swf?_EsiFBMLVersion=3.5

which then pops ads all day long. I can't block part of it, only the whole thing. Any fixes? I hope more sites don't copy this- I just won't visit them. The flashing is so intense, I can't do what I need to do on the site. Blech.
Erer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot 3x video
http://jemurl.com/jwv7n
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: