The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuring Adblock

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctlanni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006    Post subject: Configuring Adblock Reply with quote

Hi Developers,

This is a first post for me. I really like Firefox/Adblock and have made several donations to Mozilla.org. Keep up the good work!

My suggestions are regarding configuring Adblock. There were some things that were not quite intuitive to me and took me a while to figure out. (Ok, so I tend to click around like most users before looking for documentation!)

Blocking Ads from a site. (The "Adblock-able Items" window.)

1) In the list I would like to see a column called "Status" that would display "Blocked" / "Not Blocked" (or just "blocked" with a check-box in front of it.) It was not apparent to me right away that an italicized line was considered "blocked" (There is another problem if there are no blocked items in the list. See below.)

2) There should also be "Block" and "Unblock" command buttons next to the "OK"/"Cancel" buttons. (Or simply one button that toggles between being a "Block" or "Unblock" button depending on the status of the highlighted item in the list. And, of course, disabled if no item is selected.)

3) (Optional) In addition to the above two suggestions, maybe you could also include a right-click context menu to block/unblock the highlighted item?

Displaying the "Adblock Preferences" window. (The "Edit Filter" command button.)

1) If there are no blocked items in the "Adblock-able Items" window the "Edit Filter" button can never be displayed. I would not have found this window were it not for the fact that I happened to scroll down the blockable items list and hit one italicized line. Can this button always be displayed?

2) When I clicked the "Edit Filter" button one of the items in the list came up in "Edit Mode" (good idea), but it was not the correct line matching the filter from the "Adblock-able Items" window; it was the last line in the list. The line selected for editing was also below the viewport (I had to scroll down to see that a line was selected for editing.) Maybe you can auto-scroll the selected line into view?

3) In addition to the context menu (Edit/Delete) there should also be two command buttons to do this function (and be disabled if no line is selected.)

4) When I typed an entry in the "New Filter" text box and clicked "Add" I was unable to select (highlight) the new item. (I was, however, able to right-click on it and delete it.) Note: this problem only occurs the first time the window is opened.

5) (Optional) I would like to see the "Done" button replaced with "OK"/"Cancel"

I hope I'm not asking too much. Thanks for considering this.

Regards,

C.T.Lanni
Org

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I'm not Adblock dev, but I'll comment anyway, I hope you don't mind.)

Some good suggestions there, but I wonder if you realise how Adblock works the best: you should not block individual items. You should create as general filters as possible. "Possible" here meaning that your general filters avoids (most) false positive matches. The interface and working logic of Adblock is pretty much geared for that. If it would be used for blocking single ads separately, then many of your suggestions would be quite good.

For example, something like "Unblock" command button doesn't make much sense if your filter blocks tens of thousands of different ads on thousands different websites. The only good solution is "Edit Filter".

Notice that you can already right click images or iframes to open the create new filter dialog.
ctlanni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about blocking/unblocking individual items being useless, but what happened was this: I inadvertently blocked a script when exiting the blockable items window by clicking "OK" instead of "Cancel" (still not aware of how to use Adblock.) When I came back into Adblock that was the first time I noticed the red, italicized line, and the first time I found the "Edit Filter" button, (but no button to unblock the script.)

After removing the line from the filters list the line in the blockable items window remained italicized. It didn't revert to normal even after exiting and re-entering the Adblock window. (So I wasn't aware I really had removed the filter.) I actually had to exit the window, reload the page, and come back in to see that the filter was removed. Hence the request for buttons to make it easy for Dufuses like me Smile

I think I've got it figured out now.

P.S. How this all started was when I couldn't get the Intellicast metro weather loop to loop. Turned out my firewall was also blocking ads ... AND animation. Allowing animation fixed the problem.

Thanks for the reply
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: