The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site blocks right-click to frustrate AdBlock users

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesJenkins

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006    Post subject: Site blocks right-click to frustrate AdBlock users Reply with quote

One of my internet banking site displays just about all its content as gif files, and somehow prevents right-clicking on them so that you cannot easily tell AdBlock to block their ridiculous flashy ad gifs.

The site is: https://www.usafcu-onlineusa.org

I can still use the "List All Blockable Elements" option to block the gifs, but it is painful because (a) there are so darn many, and (b) AdBlock closes the list after I add each one.

Could AdBlock do something to counter sites that prevent right-clicking on the graphics?
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wed Jul 12, 2006
Drahken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006    Post subject: Re: Site blocks right-click to frustrate AdBlock users Reply with quote

CharlesJenkins wrote:

I can still use the "List All Blockable Elements" option to block the gifs, but it is painful because (a) there are so darn many, and (b) AdBlock closes the list after I add each one.

Adding each individual image to your list is an extremely inefficient way to do it, and can result in a huge list that will cause noticable lag when loading pages. (Don't be alarmed, all the images on one site aren't enough to cause that, but if you do that with every site....) If possible, you should simply block one thing that will filter out all the images without harming the worthwhile content. For example, if all the annoyances are at site.com/bad-images/image.gif while the good stuff is at site.com/goodstuff/stuff.htm, then add "bad-images" to your list.
Quote:

Could AdBlock do something to counter sites that prevent right-clicking on the graphics?

You can grab the NoScript plugin, which will block javascript by default, yet let you whitelist certain sites, or you could use a bookmarklet to remove anti-right click scripts from pages manually.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: