The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yahoo has a way around?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrakis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006    Post subject: Yahoo has a way around? Reply with quote

I couldn't help but notice that Yahoo has obviously found a way around all these ad- and script- blockers we're using.
Namely,
-they're using all-flash banners: as soon as I press CTRL+SHIFT+F to disable flash, the page will reload - with a new advertisement, of course.
-the links to ads are not as obvious as elsewhere, i.e. no "/banners" etc., just seemingly random numbers and yimg.com ending (or yahoo.*), making it very hard to block/filter with AdBlock.
-if I blacklist yimg.com with Adblock, a lot of other - legitimate - images will be hidden.
-if I block scripts on Yahoo website (with NoScript), chances are their services won't work.

The above is about Yahoo Mail; I'm not sure about other Yahoo realms, but I figure it's the same.

So what are the solutions you recommend to sanitize Yahoo Mail user experience? Smile
hoqenishy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: Get Gmail - they give you more space, fewer ads (if you choose not to install CustomizeGoogle which hides all of them), and no stupid-*** tagline at the bottom of each e-mail. If you need an invite, PM me.

If you're hellbent on using Yahoo Mail, just disable Javascript for their domain. I still use a Y!Mail account, and I actually -prefer- the look of it in "non-enhanced" mode - less clutter! AFAIK, you can still use all of Yahoo's services without Javascript, including the messageboards. The fonts might look a little different, but I don't care as long as I'm not seeing ads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: