The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AdBlock using Mozilla key-binding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostnihilist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003    Post subject: AdBlock using Mozilla key-binding Reply with quote

namely ctrl-shft-L is already a key-binding for the suite and has been usurped by ad-block. I don't like the idea of extensions replacing key bindings of the main program (conflicting with other extensions is fine, as that is bound to happen). The devs should probably change this to another. ctrl-shft-b (for blocked) perhaps?? minor complaint for an incredible upgrade.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll let a majority-vote swing this one.
Does anyone else care?
parasight

I don't remember what ctrl-shift-L does, as I never use it, but I agree that a plug-in should not be allowed to override the main Mozilla key bindings, unless of course the plug-in is meant to replace whatever was called up by that binding before.
Org

Doesn't Mozilla.org state quite clearly that Firebird is the future or Mozilla? Wouldn't it be enough if Adblock honored the keybindings of FB? Isn't it too much to ask to take into account of the keybindings of several programs?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first priority in coding this is landing what we (the developers) want. Secondly, we adapt it for our users.
Since I'll never use the "open web location" shortcut, I think nothing of binding it to Adblock. But, I also prefer the statusbar-shortcut to the keybinding; so, in the end, my opinion is null.
Ctrl-Shift-A seems a sensible alternative, although it feels contextually inferior.
jfelten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: AdBlock using Mozilla key-binding Reply with quote

Lowly user here. I installed Adblock yesterday after a colleague recommended it. I came here today to find out how to get a key binding back for "open web location" since Adblock usurped Shift-accelkey-L without providing a replacement. Philosophically, I think it's wrong for a plug-in to change key bindings in the main application without warning or option. Perhaps you guys will consider a user editable XUL over-ride file or such? In the mean time, I'm uninstalling Adblock. Thanks anyway.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfelton:
I didn't mean to condescend. I was just trying to make clear why it happened, and where the issue stands. I've put the final outcome in your hands, and the vote is clear: change the binding.
So, as of... < dramatic_pause > ...now!- ctrl+shift+a will list all blockable items in the page. Grab the updated install off the Dev-page.
jfelten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: AdBlock using Mozilla key-binding Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the quick change. I take back the things I muttered under my breath the first time I hit shift-accel-L.

Now if I could just figure out what "command" mozilla uses for it's File/Open-web-location so I could change it in userHTMLBindings.xml to accel-O on my workstation like in the good ol' days . . . Hopefully the mozilla developers will make it all user configurable some day.

Thanks again, especially from my mouse hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: