The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for contact to a dev

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadprez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006    Post subject: Looking for contact to a dev Reply with quote

could a dev pm me with a email address or something? or leave a mail at martin _ lindhe (a) yahoo.se
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help if you state your reason for wanting to contact them first.
deadprez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. i have a important matter i wish to speak to a dev about. it is something i would like to discuss privatley first. that is why im not simply posting what i want here.

however, i havent recieved any contact yet.

please, i have a interesting proposal, send me a mail.
Org

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... I'm not an Adblock dev, but I would NOT distribute my own email address based on your messages.

deadprez, if you read your own messages carefully, would you react to them if you were a dev? I didn't think so...
deadprez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh, okay let me present my intentions.

note carefully that i have attempted to contact a dev to discuss this privatley at first.

i have developed a sql-driven web application for maintaining a community-driven set of adblock rules and i have also collected about 450 rules (mostly domain blockers). none of this data is taken from, or even compared agains the ruleset.G thing, so none of their restrictions apply.

i would like to discuss possibilities of donating my project to the adblock project, or something like that. i have no place to host it currently.

the site is up and running on my home pc, not posting URL's publically at this point (again send me a mail a dev plz...)

the site features a "report site" tool where administrators later can check thru incoming reports.
it also categorizes adblock rules in "advertisment", "trackers (web bugs or what you like to call em, 1x1 pixels)", "webcounters" and a "unsorted" category. you can choose what categories you want and a uptodate list from the database is given to you.

im currently looking into making a extension to auto-update your autoblock list from this list but im inexperienced in XPI-programming.

ive put some weeks of work into it before attempting to bring up the suggestion, i believe the web application i describe above is more or less complete & ready to be taken into use.

ultimatley i would like this to be included into the official adblock (auto update of the community-driven set of rules built into adblock extension). then it would really be a install-and-forget type of application.

all friends i showed adblock for has been mighty impressed in its abilities to strip off all ads on their favorite commerical site, but managing the program is far from easy for a beginner.

i am well aware of the filterset.g project but i get the impression they are not interested in taking this direction, they place copyright on their filter set and so on.

furthermore i suspect i could be fired for posting this. i orginally ran into tracking pixels through work actually and im notoriously pissed off at the phenomen, its one of the reasons i found the adblock extension in the first place.

these are my reasons for not posting publically in the first place. it is a shame you need to assume im a 49 year old pedophile or whatever reasons to dismiss me when i am trying to contribute something, but i do understand

org said:
Quote:
deadprez, if you read your own messages carefully, would you react to them if you were a dev? I didn't think so..

well i can agree with you, but what would i have written? "CLICK HERE WIN 100$$$$" ? and what would i do with a email? spam your thunderbird-inboxes with outlook viruses?

who am i?
im 25 years old guy from sweden, working as php/sql developer since 2000, programmed c since '94 or something.
deadprez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIY, i am now working together with Adblock Plus developer Wladimir Palant with this idea.
This means i am no longer interested in contributing this to the adblock project.
I am happy he has shown interest for my project, we will hopefully publish it soon.
Alan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadprez wrote:
FIY, i am now working together with Adblock Plus developer Wladimir Palant with this idea. This means i am no longer interested in contributing this to the adblock project. I am happy he has shown interest for my project, we will hopefully publish it soon.

Sounds like a great plan and I wish you and the new Adblock Plus lots of luck. I'll take another look at it after it matures some more. It appears that rue and mcm_ham don't have time lately to post in the Adblock forum or acknowledge the whitelisting bug reports, so I don't blame you for going with a project which is much better supported right now.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Alan, I don't have regular access to a computer at the moment until the end of the month so haven't been tracking the forums very closely. Although it looks like I will be spending a lot less time on Adblock this year compared to last because of work reasons. Anyway I'll have a look at the bug you mentioned and will let rue know about it.
Alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, mcm_ham. No problem. I'm glad to hear you have plenty of work to keep you busy. Thank you for taking a look at the bug and letting rue know about it. I do think it's pretty exciting to have two active Adblock projects, and I'm looking forward to a time when either of them exceeds where you took Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2 to.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
deadprez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

little status update on the project i mention above.

i have been in contact with both rue from adblock & wladimir from adblock plus.

subscriptions are implemented and works out of the box with adblock plus at the moment, rue tells me that adblock will support subscriptions too in a upcoming release.

this means the project will not be directly tied to either extension, but rather both can use it. i also hope the subscription feature can be useful for other types of programs aswell.

the site is still not live & development from my part is stopped atm because of too much work, but my goal is to get the site opened up in the next few months
Zachariah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds really cool !!!!

thanks for the update !!

• If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
Ken Cooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadprez wrote:
the site is still not live & development from my part is stopped atm because of too much work, but my goal is to get the site opened up in the next few months

This sounds exciting...can hardly wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: