The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The download is not an executable, so how does it install?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006    Post subject: The download is not an executable, so how does it install? Reply with quote

Sad
So far, I have found no instructions on what to do with the downloaded file; it's in no format I recognize, not RAR, not Zip, not Exe . .

I've been ignoring most ads for however long I've been on the Inet, maybe eight years now. Popups bothered me, and Netscape was buggy, kept being quashed by Windows. I started using Mozilla about the time Popups got real bad everywhere. I've tried Firefox and didn't like it much (via EDIT: so I went back to the Mozilla Suite).

Lately, various "Flash" animations started appearing in banner ads, and I have a small cataract in one lens that can and will collect GLARE. When one particular ad of that sort really got to me, and I complained about it at the site where it is hosted (a Patriot RAM ad with a FF-chested bimbo flopping around and firing twin "guns" at the viewer), I was told to get adblock so as to never see the crap again.

It's downloaded, it's an XPI. Now what? On MozDev, the reference to "Install" is an inactive or missing function.

Question

Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwi on Thu Feb 23, 2006; edited 1 time in total
Alan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006    Post subject: Re: The download is not an executable, so how does it instal Reply with quote

I assume you downloaded the Adblock .xpi file. How to install it might depend on what browser you're using. Is it Firefox or is it Mozilla Suite? Here's one way that might work for you: from the Firefox menu bar select File->Open File to open the xpi file. Hope this helps.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
Kiwi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006    Post subject: Mozilla 1.7.5 Reply with quote

It's Mozilla 1.7.5, but I use Thunderbird with it. And yes, it's an "XPI", some kind of Project File, I suppose, but none of Mozilla Suite's menu choices seem to match up with a "Project" . . AND there was no visible reaction at all from the browser when it was directed to "open" the project file.

Shock

Kiwi

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Mozilla check this option Edit/Preferences/Advanced(Double click to expand)/Software Installation (Make sure you enable software installation, I do this on a case by case basis). Also you may want to upgrade to version 1.7.12 as it is the latest version. After checking the preference simply drag the downloaded file into the browser. Hope this helps Smile
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotmy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: