The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock filtering of html

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcgtv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004    Post subject: Adblock filtering of html Reply with quote

Was wondering when adblock gets to filter the html.

I would presume it's before it reaches the gecko engine. Is this correct.

Are there any docs one can read on the inner workings of adblock?

I'm interested in testing various filters and it would be helpful to peer at the squirrel running around inside the wheel powering the engine.

Thanks.

ps - nice work
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hcgtv:
Here's a pretty good explanation.
Btw, there's no external means to circumvent Adblock. ..In case you work for an Ad-agency or somethin' :P
hcgtv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004    Post subject: Just a geek Reply with quote

Rue,

I'm just a geek like you. Unemployed at present, looking for something to occupy my time.

I've been using Netscape from the original mozilla days. Switched from Netscape 4.76 to Mozilla when the release candidates became useable. I can email you a picture of my Netscape t-shirt :)

My question came from trying one of the filters you suggested we try in another thread, the one about the ultimate filter: rue-8.06.03 to be exact. When I entered this into adblock, my Pentium III 700mhz machine went into slow motion.

Now I use the filter posted by Weber, it seems to be working good. I've unpacked the source and I'm getting familiar with how the code is layed out, I'm learning how to program in XUL.

Basically, I'd like to help out. I too detest huge ads taking up precious screen real estate and making me scroll down to read what I originally came to see. Until I'm familiar with XUL, I decided to be a monkey and test different filters and such.

One suggestion would be to include some basic filter lines in the default install. Sort of what you have on the screenshot in the mozdev home page.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hcgtv:
If you haven't found it already, Mozillazine's Extension-forum is where it's at.
--
..two turntables and a microphone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: