The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[BUG] ?? AdBlock & Shockwave

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004    Post subject: [BUG] ?? AdBlock & Shockwave Reply with quote

it seems that Adblock & Shockwave don't like each other too much... i've had some wierd behavior here and there but mostly nothing horrible..but this one is kinda wacky.....
this page does not act properly with AdBlock enabled. If i disable Adblock everything is ok....

now some details....If Adblock is NOT enabled i can drag & drop (see the page for what i mean) with no problems.... However if AdBlock IS enabled, i have to click anywhere on the page excluding the shockwave picture first, to allow me to drag & drop.... seems like there is a focus or mouse click issue (I tried with all possibleQuick block settings too, no difference)
No Javascript errors either, unless i try to bring up List-Blockable items then i get following error which may or may not be related to the problem
Quote:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]" nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://adblock/content/filterall.js :: addNodeReferences :: line 195" data: no]

Hope i explained it all ok.....
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW:
With "Obj-Tabs" disabled, do you still see the problem?
I don't have this issue, so I have to ask some obvious questions: does this happen with all interactive-flash? Can you click the "warning:proceed" triangle before the drag'n'drop area loads -- without externally-clicking first?

If any linux-users are reading this, could you check if this issue affects you too?
MW

1. Not sure if this happens with all interactive flash, never really payed that close attention

2. Yes I can click Warning: Proceed with out any problem

3. With "Obj-Tabs" disabled the problem, disappears

a few notes....
when "Obj-Tabs" enabled all the elements on the page are not listed, some are missing. however with "Obj-Tabs" disabled all elements are in the list....

another thing i noticed is that with "Obj-Tabs" enabled the flash always reloads from remote location when revisiting the page. With "Obj-Tabs" disabled it loads from cache/memory.

So I guess i'll keep "Obj-Tabs" disabled for now as AdBlock seems to perform better on pages with flash with this feature disabled..... I'll use Ctrl+Shift+F (flash Overlay). (BTW right click doesn't work for me with Ctrl+Shift+F, i have to use left click).
rue
Developer

MW:
Apologies- the menulabel wasn't updated: Flash Overlay is intended for left-click only, now.
MW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apologies needed....I have only Thanks.... TO YOU.... Smile Smile .... the BEST & MOST HELPFUL extension for mozilla EVER......

No rush but any idea how to "fix" Obj-Tabs.... (assuming that's the fault and not poorly written pages).... Just curious
MW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of something....

Perhaps if you make the "Flash Overlay" feature toggable (not just for the current page, or even better three settings, 1. Enabled, 2. Current Page or 3. OFF ) and remove Obj-Tabs feature for shockwave files, as i've never encountered a problem with any other type of embeded media (but maybe it's just me having problems with flash files).

I can say the most issues (relatively few, glad to say...awesome job!!) i have with AdBlock is with Shockwave files....... In any event it would be nice to have "Flash Overlay" as a toggable option......

Another idea is to have a Configurable preference which will enable the user to specify which file extensions should be excluded (or vice versa included) in Obj-Tabs and/or Flash Overlay..... That shouldn't be too difficult (i assume) as Tabs/Overlay do not appear with many file types....Or maybe that just makes things too messy.....

Minor Point: Maybe the "Flash Overlay" & "FLASHBLOCK" should be renamed "Media Overlay" & "MEDIABLOCK" to better reflect that any embeded media can have an "Overlay".....

Obviously, this would depend on other users feedback/preferences as well.

Just suggestions of course feel free to ignore (except for the toggable "Flash Overlay" )....hehehe....sorry for the rambling....Smile Smile
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW:
The shortest answer is that Flash Overlay can't be made sticky. It's intrinsically temporary.
I honestly have no idea why the tabs initially suppress drag'n'drop events. It can't be a focus-issue, since you're able to click the triangle. It's just really odd.
I can only advise leaving Obj-tabs disabled for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: