The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock 0.5.3.40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i cant find any of these things: you could try enabling the "javascript.options.showInConsole" preference after typing "about:config" into the location bar then let me know if you see any errors relating to Adblock under "Tools->Javascript Console".

In the place where you type web addresses to go to sites (location bar) type "about:config" and press enter. At the top of the loaded page you should see a text box labelled "Filter", type "console" into that field. Undernealth you should now find a preference called "javascript.options.showInConsole", right click on that preference and choose "Toggle".

What this does is to enable errors from extensions to appear under "Tools->Javascript Console". Now if you restart the browser and open up the Javascript Console I'm hoping you will see an error from Adblock which would give me clues as to what could be going on.
Terence

Sorry, but with 0.5.2.056+ 'overlay flash' seems to don't work for me anymore. I reinstalled it several times and I even did a complete reinstall of FF1.5 (I also deleted the profile folder) but there is no go.
I can also confirm adblock claims to be in 'unloaded' status, even if it works fine (except for the overlay).

To check for the flash overlays in iFrames wich give no urls visit: http://filefront.com

There are three iFrames wich contain ads and there is a 50:50 chance it's a flash every time you reload the page, so it shouldn't take too long until at least one of them contains a flash-ad. I have marked the three iFrames in the picture below (screenshot was taken with the pervious dev-build):

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=filefront0ca.jpg

About the Obj-Tabs:
I am not quite sure if it's such a good idea to disable the Obj-Tabs. How is someone who never heard of adblock before and just installs the extention supposed to know adblock can also block flashs, because - well most people don't care about readmes or dig through the preferences after installing an extention. On the other hand leastwhile the 'overlay flash' option isn't too hard to find.

But there should be at least a hint in the preferences what 'Obj-Tabs' generally are, like: 'Obj-Tabs (to remove flash ads)' of 'Flash Ad Obj-Tabs'.
The reason why people are requesting to remove the tabs, might not that they never searched the preferences, but that the haven't a clue what 'check/uncheck Obj-Tabs' means.

Finally, I think if someone installs adblock and notices that it adds Obj-Tabs to the Flashs he might look the preferences to disable them, in case he doesn't like the Tabs.
But if someone want's to block flashs and notices he can't with the usual right click and there are no Obj-Tabs, might rather visit the adblock forums to post something like 'Couldn't Adblock remove Flashs too?' instead of searching the preferences for hidden adblock abilities.

Hi,

sorry Terence, but for me the 0.5.2.056+ Version works fine. Flash Overlays are also doing what they are supposed to do.

Firefox 1.5 (20051111) en-US (clean install, removed Fx 1.0.7 completely before)
Adblock 0.5.2.056+
Win2k

@Terence

PS: also, the Adblock "tray" signals its active state correctly. you should try a complete cleanup of the directories located in your c:\documents and settings folder after you've uninstalled your Fx build. also remove completely the stuff in c:\program files\mozilla firefox.

(don't forget to make a backup before... Smile

ah, Adblock is the only active extension - I havent installed any other yet.

@Terence:

1) Make a backup copy of your bookmarks

1) Uninstall Fx via the Software/ control panel

2) I removed following folders completely:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

3) Install Fx 1.5
Pyrokinesis

I am also getting the "Unloaded" message in my toolbar. Here's the error that comes up in the Javascript Console:

Quote:
Error: adblockPageBlockListener is not defined
Source File: chrome://adblock/content/adblock.js
Line: 189
[/quote]
pyrokinesis

Oh, for Pete's sake. I just registered so I can edit in the future. When I originally installed it, I had downloaded the .xpi and dragged it to the browser, since the main host was acting up and I was using the mirror. Out of curiousity, I uninstalled it after I posted that last message and reinstalled it from the javascript link now that the host is behaving better, and no more "Unloaded" message. And no chrome errors.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terence wrote:
To check for the flash overlays in iFrames wich give no urls visit: http://filefront.com

Thanks I wanted to test the code that differentiated between iFrames and flash after the last lot of changes when choosing between the two context menu options and it appears to be working.

Thanks for your care guys but like I already wrote, I just did a complete reinstall of FF1.5 and I know about the Firefox profile folder in 'documents and settings' and the other mozilla folders there.
Terence wrote:
and I even did a complete reinstall of FF1.5 (I also deleted the profile folder)

I finally re-downloaded 0.56+ and it works now - so either the one I got on the 12.05 was corrupt or 0.56+ was changed in the meantime, at least the MD5 hashes differ.

I am very glad I can report the iFrame url and the overlay positioning bugs don't occur anymore. Tough I would still consider to add a more descriptive text to the 'Obj-Tabs' option in the preferences it seems 0.56+ is bugfree.
Thanks for the great work mcm_ham and all your efforts to keep one of Firefox's most popular extentions alive, I hope the new adblock will be ad-ded to mozilla.com soon. Very Happy
mcm_ham

Strange, well there was a change to the xpi since I made that post but that was to fix the page blocked display which I broke. I didn't make changes to any of the other code so the overlayed flash should still be the same. The error that Pyrokinesis mentioned though makes no sense, the code in the adblock.js file isn't being used any more but I haven't touched it from 0.5.2.039 so I don't see how the function became undefined, but I will comment out that line anyway.
t

Pyrokinesis wrote:
I am also getting the "Unloaded" message in my toolbar. Here's the error that comes up in the Javascript Console:

Quote:
Error: adblockPageBlockListener is not defined
Source File: chrome://adblock/content/adblock.js
Line: 189

Hi,
I also got that error with the old 56+ and the "unloaded" status. But with the newest 56+ (12/7/2005), "adblock" button is back and there is no more line:189 error.

Thanks for fixing it.
mcm_ham

Question Well whatever I did sure Smile
pyrokinesis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm_ham wrote:
Strange, well there was a change to the xpi since I made that post but that was to fix the page blocked display which I broke. I didn't make changes to any of the other code so the overlayed flash should still be the same. The error that Pyrokinesis mentioned though makes no sense, the code in the adblock.js file isn't being used any more but I haven't touched it from 0.5.2.039 so I don't see how the function became undefined, but I will comment out that line anyway.

Yeah, I really have no idea what made the difference unless it was just installing it instead of downloading and then installing. Or maybe the computer pixies decided to smile upon me. *shrugs* Still some weirdness in blocking iframes, I think I noticed earlier (they just don't disappear like they used to), but otherwise works a LOT better than it has before with 1.5. Thanks for all your hard work, man.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adblock 0.5.2.056+ blocks no ads with Mozilla Suite 1.7.12. Windows XP SP2.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come when I click "Visit Home Page", it takes me to http://adblock.mozdev.org/ instead of this page?

That should be fixed before 0.5.2.057.
funTomas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005    Post subject: Localization Reply with quote

Any chance to provide i18n? I'd like to lokalize Adblock but failed to find locales folder.
Terence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
How come when I click "Visit Home Page", it takes me to http://adblock.mozdev.org/ instead of this page?

That should be fixed before 0.5.2.057.

Mine works fine (It directs to http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/central/).

But I found a rather exotic ad that consists of a clickable backgroundimage, you can't remove with adblock.

Addtionally it seems you have to reload pages with adblock 0.56+ to make blocked backgroundimages vanish (they don't collapse instantly like normal ads).

For a demo visit http://www.alternate.de/html/index.html.

There are 4 little ads that consit of a backgroundimage wich is covered by a clickable .gif and a big ad in the middle that consists of a clickable .gif, a second clickable .gif and clickable backgroundimage.
The 4 little ads vanish after you reload the page but you can't remove the backgroundimage of the big ad in the middle (http://www.alternate.de/pix/prodTeaser/2x1/051201_toshiba_truck.jpg).

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9610/truck0yj.jpg
apollo2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005    Post subject: Not a valid package file Reply with quote

I get an error when I try installing this updated package. It says that it can't install the xpi because it is an invalid package file. It also occurs when I manually install it after downloading it to the hard drive.
Crogon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, I can't seem to get a clean download.

I'm throwing my hands up in the air on this one. mcm_ham, you really should consider going over to adblock + and coordinating the codebases. This is getting rediculous. No really, absolutely rediculous. The novice users need a working update on the addons.mozilla.org site. If you can't get one posted because rue won't relinquish control, then the adblock + people should post adblock + as a new extension. At least then the project could move forward. It's not an optimal solution, but at least it would allow the project to move forward.

Shame on rue for letting things getting to this state. OBVIOUSLY the project is stagnating. He should either delegate authority to you, or he should gracefully shut down the project and give adblock + his blessing.

I'm not spending any more of my time trying to 'right a wrong' due to rue's incompetance. I've spent hours researching this and posting across five forums. Here, adblock +, filterset.g, spreadfirefox and mozillazine. I don't care how good a programmer rue is, as a project coordinator, he gets a D-. For my own part, I'm going to go do a manual install of Adblock +. Then I'm going to send a mass email to all of my clients, co-workers and friends telling them to do the same thing, and to pass on the info to everyone else they know who uses Firefox.

I suggest you do the same thing. The whole point of open source is to let as many people help build the code base as have an interest to do so. That can't happen right now, you're just spinning your wheels, try as you might. You sir, are to be commended and get an A+ for effort. Smile Just don't let this project die due to rue's lack of helmsmanship.

I may be back to check for responses later, or I might not. It all depends on how disgusted I feel about the situation after I've cooled off. Whatever you decide on, best of luck. ..but make no mistake, you've got a decision to make.
Crogon

Posted at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&vid=8710

Sad state of affairs

by Crogon, December 13, 2005 1:11am

The adblock project is currently (and has been for some time) stagnating due to a lack of helmsmanship. It has problems with flash and other object types. It has no whitelist. Adblock WAS one of THE best extensions for Firefox, but currently it's a 3 star project at best. The community is trying desperately to put together updates and fix problems, but when the day is done, they're just spinning their wheels. As a general rule you should NEVER click a link you see in one of these 'rating' posts, you should scroll to the bottom and use the 'Homepage' link at the bottom to look for newer versions, or get more info. However, I have spent HOURS researching this situation, so I'm going to recommend that everyone uninstall adblock, then go to the following link and install adblock + until either someone breaths some new life into adblock, or adblock + publishes their own extension here. Here's the link: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=266291
apollo2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005    Post subject: Downloaded New Adblock Reply with quote

OK, I was able to download it from the new Add-Ons page.
rue
Developer

Actually, the build currently hosted on addons.mozilla was pushed by mozilla volunteers, not our Crew. It sports a pretty bad memory-leak.
Here's the latest internal build, for the v.5 branch: linked.
It will become Nightly 40 -- it's still in active-dev, pending security concerns with some builds of the browser.
Cheers + enjoy,
rue

rue wrote:
Actually, the build currently hosted on addons.mozilla was pushed by mozilla volunteers, not our Crew. It sports a pretty bad memory-leak.
It will become Nightly 40 -- it's still in active-dev, pending security concerns with some builds of the browser.
Cheers + enjoy,
rue

!!

rue wrote:
Cheers + enjoy,
rue
a

No, this must be some sort of trick.

We all know that version 56 "+" is the latest.

Certainly, if the original extension "crew" were around, they would talk to the current extension "crew" and come up with one good version. There is no point in anything contrary to this other than ego stroking.

Of course, competition is always a good thing.
rue
Developer

Small footnote:
Nightly 40 was developed with mcm onboard :)
Cheers,
rue

rue wrote:
Small footnote:
Nightly 40 was developed with mcm onboard Smile
Cheers,
rue

Cool beans. Thanks for that what should be a large footnote.

Thanks to the both of you for all your hard work.

What happened to the numbering?

Is 40 including what is in 56?

(-:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this error when trying to install Adblock+

Firefox could not install the file at http://adblockplus.wephop.org/adblock-dev.xpi because: Not a valid install package

help?

Anonymous wrote:
Firefox could not install the file at http://adblockplus.wephop.org/adblock-dev.xpi because: Not a valid install package

Looks like hosting is over.

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

no cause it lets me download it, just not install it

Why AdBlock (lastest) stop removing some iframes from pages? With Firefox 1.07 it can. Maybe i should reinstall FireFox?

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

no cause it lets me download it, just not install it

The acutual size shoule be 63K , if downloaded file is smaller than that number, something is wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why isn't that fixed version on https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10 ?
There is still Adblock 0.5.2.056, by The Adblock Crew, released on November 29, 2005 listed and people keep complaining about its bugs!
sqrlntj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005    Post subject: stuck on adblock Reply with quote

Page comes up without picture, ad,
how do I get a picture??
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Small footnote:
Nightly 40 was developed with mcm onboard :)
Cheers,
rue

Just confirming this myself. Still some development work left to finish nightly 40 off but feel free to test it and report issues.
http://adblock.ethereal.net/alchemy.cgi/Adblock_v.5
just a visitor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005    Post subject: honestly. Reply with quote

Guys, I don't know what the internal politics have been like here, and it's entirely possible that I'm way out of line...but...

STOP THE INSANITY.

AdBlock is a great thing for many reasons and many uses. It is the primary reason I use Firefox and not Safari.

BUT IT TOOK ME 30 MINUTES TO FIND AN UPDATED VERSION THAT WORKS WITH FF1.5.

I've been ignoring AdBlock's non-operational (as in, non-configuration-updatable) status for several weeks, but finally I decided that there was no way an extension this useful and popular had just been abandoned (and not picked up by someone else). So I searched.

adblock.mozdev.org is the bookmark I've had for a long time. No update. I'm familiar with projects that fork because the original developers flake or die, so that wasn't a dead end for me, but it would be for 90% of users.

SUGGESTION: fix adblock.mozdev.org or if that's impossible, rename the extension and get everyone in the world to link to the new name and site (it wouldn't take much, AdBlock is hugely popular). But they have to link to the new SINGLE site, not one of several different sites of unclear provenance. And not in various, conflicting, dispersed phpBB sites, either. A thousand bloggers would link to the "new AdBlock" if anyone had any idea what or where that was. Bloggers are individually useless (except for the non-anonymous famous ones) but enough of them, aggregated, makes for consensus (and google rank).

...If one of you clearly owns the rights to the name AdBlock, then call the "new" extension AdBlock2 and be done with it. Get a new page on mozdev if the old one is frozen or controlled by an uncooperative person. Do whatever it takes. It doesn't have to be this hard!

That's all. Thank you for the great extension (even if it hasn't visibly progressed in what seems like years), but PLEASE, for the love of the Intarwebs, work out whatever problems you've obviously been having, and if not possible then work AROUND them. This nonspecific quagmire isn't helping anyone.

Sorry if this is offensive. I decided that tact wasn't as important as honesty here. I really do appreciate your work.
RV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005    Post subject: blank screen after uninstall Reply with quote

I have been using 1.0.7 with some trouble with a previous version of AdBlock. I downloaded Adblock_Plus_0.5.10.xpi and it came up with a weird big white space at the bottom of the screen. I tried restarting, but no joy.
I went to Extensions and uninstalled it, then restarted firefox as instructed, and all I get is a blank screen!

My toolbars are all there, including the status bar, and including my links bar which is blank when it should have some links on it. I tried safe mnode and that does not work either. I uninstalled 107 and reinstalled into a fresh directory, and still no joy.

Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005    Post subject: Re: honestly. Reply with quote

just a visitor. wrote:
Guys, I don't know what the internal politics have been like here, and it's entirely possible that I'm way out of line...but...

STOP THE INSANITY.

AdBlock is a great thing for many reasons and many uses. It is the primary reason I use Firefox and not Safari.

BUT IT TOOK ME 30 MINUTES TO FIND AN UPDATED VERSION THAT WORKS WITH FF1.5.

I've been ignoring AdBlock's non-operational (as in, non-configuration-updatable) status for several weeks, but finally I decided that there was no way an extension this useful and popular had just been abandoned (and not picked up by someone else). So I searched.

adblock.mozdev.org is the bookmark I've had for a long time. No update. I'm familiar with projects that fork because the original developers flake or die, so that wasn't a dead end for me, but it would be for 90% of users.

SUGGESTION: fix adblock.mozdev.org or if that's impossible, rename the extension and get everyone in the world to link to the new name and site (it wouldn't take much, AdBlock is hugely popular). But they have to link to the new SINGLE site, not one of several different sites of unclear provenance. And not in various, conflicting, dispersed phpBB sites, either. A thousand bloggers would link to the "new AdBlock" if anyone had any idea what or where that was. Bloggers are individually useless (except for the non-anonymous famous ones) but enough of them, aggregated, makes for consensus (and google rank).

...If one of you clearly owns the rights to the name AdBlock, then call the "new" extension AdBlock2 and be done with it. Get a new page on mozdev if the old one is frozen or controlled by an uncooperative person. Do whatever it takes. It doesn't have to be this hard!

That's all. Thank you for the great extension (even if it hasn't visibly progressed in what seems like years), but PLEASE, for the love of the Intarwebs, work out whatever problems you've obviously been having, and if not possible then work AROUND them. This nonspecific quagmire isn't helping anyone.

Sorry if this is offensive. I decided that tact wasn't as important as honesty here. I really do appreciate your work.

Adblock SHOULD be the most popular extension by far, but it isn't, and part of it is due to what you mentioned. It never ceases to amaze me the hoops the average person has to go through to make sense of things here. The basics - just common-sense basics - aren't communicated to the Average Joe just looking to try it without fuss. It's all hidden in some labyrinth. Why? I have no idea.
Adblock lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005    Post subject: so useful it should be part of default install Reply with quote

Agree with the recent comments on difficulty of finding this. I am proficient enough to find files, read forums, and follow step by steps, but it is getting way too hard to keep up with this extension. I can't tell if I should be using Adblock or Adblock plus, for one thing, and I can't figure out the right version either. This is not the case for other extensions I regularly use, even though Adblock is far more important to my web browsing.

It would be really nice to see some better communication to users on status, upgrade plans, file locations, etc. for Adblock. The developers have made a great thing but it is not fulfilling its potential.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intention on my part has always been to put together a couple of hacks posted in these forums to add whitelisting and synchronization to the Official Adblock and offer it as Adblock Plus for those who wanted either of those abilities until Adblock 0.6 was released.

But in the course of fixing issues with Adblock Plus I fixed a lot of incompatibilities introduced by Fx 1.5 or Fx 1.6. As a result of the same issues being repeated in these forums I backported the fixes I made to Adblock Plus to the official Adblock and linked it in this thread.

Now I'm getting a chance to work with rue the main person behind Adblock 0.5 to put together a new official build (he wanted to improve upon some of the fixes I've made) and when that's ready, the update will be on mozdev and AMO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005    Post subject: Re: honestly. Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Adblock SHOULD be the most popular extension by far, but it isn't, and part of it is due to what you mentioned. It never ceases to amaze me the hoops the average person has to go through to make sense of things here. The basics - just common-sense basics - aren't communicated to the Average Joe just looking to try it without fuss. It's all hidden in some labyrinth. Why? I have no idea.

You think this one is bad, you should try "Session Saver".
Alan

mcm_ham wrote:
Now I'm getting a chance to work with rue the main person behind Adblock 0.5 to put together a new official build (he wanted to improve upon some of the fixes I've made) and when that's ready, the update will be on mozdev and AMO.

Now that is exciting news! I particularly appreciate the ongoing support, bug fixes, and improvements that you've given Adblock Plus. I hope you can continue that if and when Adblock is ready to replace Adblock Plus.
Benoit

RoelSan wrote:
I'm back to IE using the great Maxthon engine for it.

Maxthon is not an engine. It's a shell for IE's engine, Triton, complete with the security holes.
Zachariah wrote:
... yeah, and you also get the security-through-obscurity

Not really. It's still IE's engine.
Quote:
as well as an incomplete implementation of the HTML 4 specification (it's missing the Q element, at least)

Another well-known tag that's not supported is <abbr>.
Quote:
I don't know how you can even call a program a browser if it doesn't support all the HTML elements

Then Firefox isn't a browser either, since it doesn't support all the HTML elements either.
Quote:
(oh, and of course there's the ever popular lack of full CSS or PNG support, too)

Mozilla browsers don't have full CSS support either.

---

I've installed 56+ on a fresh SeaMonkey install. It doesn't block anything, and doesn't show anything in the adblockable items list. The filters are listed, but that's that.

Apart from some crashes that I had through blocking things with Adblock the past weeks, the most stable version has always been the last official nightly. I've tried Adblock Plus months ago, and it seemed to not always show all the adblockable items. Now I try this latest unofficial version, and got even worse functionality.

For some reason, for me, this extension is breaking apart increasingly with each update.

Would a moderator un-sticky this post and sticky an annoucement regarding adblock 0.5 d3 nightly 40, as linked on adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html ?
Benoit

Funny you should mention that version, as I just tried it.

It shows "Unloaded" in the lower right corner. The first time I tried to open Adblock's preferences, it loaded a window at the minimum dimensions, showing only the title bar and the three window handling buttons. The second time it opened correctly.

Then I tried to uninstall it through Adblock's preferences. This caused SeaMonkey to hang, and I had to terminate it through Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Great job guys, now you've made this extension entirely incompatible with SeaMonkey. Even though I had done a fresh install and cleaned up my profile.
Benoit

While trying to find the older version, I visited extensionroom.mozdev.org through archive.org, and stumbled upon this link:
http://mirror.meisterwerk.net/mozdev/adblock/adblock-0.5-dev.xpi

After having installed it, to my horror it was version 040. I restart SeaMonkey, and to my surprise, it works!

Lesson of the day: Stay away from adblock.mozdev.org! It deceives! (it's where I got the previoius 040 from)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally broke down and tried version 40 from here http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

and I guess it works. It doesn't NOT work at least.

Is it me, or does my browser also now feel a bit faster?
Benoit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a new navigator window is opened in SeaMonkey, Adblock doesn't work there. Right-clicking on something shows the context menu with all possible Adblock options, and the Adblock label is marked as "Unloaded".
Benoit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalling the extension fixed it.
brazilian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BEST EXTENSION EVER!

THANKS, MY EYES CONGRATULATIONS YOU!
dw

I've spent way too much time trying to understand and sort out the mess in this forum (and others). I've decided the best course for now is to stick with Fx 1.0.7 and Adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39 until the dust settles. Somebody call me when the confusion is over.
Org

I believe v.5 d3 nightly 40 is best version currently available, even if it's still an unreleased development version:

http://adblock.ethereal.net/alchemy.cgi/Adblock_v.5
Linuggz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005    Post subject: Adblock's broken for me, too Reply with quote

I "upgraded" to Firefox 1.5 and adblock stopped working correctly (I couldnt block new things) and then I reinstalled adblock, both the "official" version and the "dev" (.5 d3 40) version and neither one of them work now.

If it works for you, what versions are you using?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005    Post subject: Re: Adblock's broken for me, too Reply with quote

Linuggz wrote:
I "upgraded" to Firefox 1.5 and adblock stopped working correctly (I couldnt block new things) and then I reinstalled adblock, both the "official" version and the "dev" (.5 d3 40) version and neither one of them work now.

Have you tried a new profile?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case people are interested and want to avoid some disappointment:

Seamonkey 1.0 Beta
found here:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

will not work with the latest Adblock 0.5 d3 Nightly 40 properly. There are issues with the Preferences window. Also, once you "see it", nothing is actually selected. Hide Ads, Remove Ads.

Also, after importing a filter list, nothing is remembered; it disappears next time you open Adblock Preferences.

In short, nothing works.
I think I remember someone else reporting it here as well..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005    Post subject: Re: Adblock's broken for me, too Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Linuggz wrote:

yeah, i wiped everything related to mozilla. now, i can get adblock to block images, but not those incredibly annoyying flash ads....

any ideas?
thanks
l.
Benoit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta, and Adblock works fine on it if you use the one I linked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benoit wrote:
I'm using SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta, and Adblock works fine on it if you use the one I linked.

My head is spinning. I just scrolled up and saw your post - and then remembered that was the one I read before. Do you know who or what made that release and why it isn't on the official site (this one?).

Honestly, I'm thinking of just giving up using it on anything other than Firefox.
Benoit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly have no idea. I found it through looking at an archived version of http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/ on http://www.archive.org/
ant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005    Post subject: b2 b39? Reply with quote

Where can I get the older build? d2/d3 b40 does NOT work in my Mozilla v1.7.12 installations in both Windows XP and Debian/Linux. No ad blocking and stuff. Sad

I could never get Plus to work in the past either.
hcook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock 0.5.2.056+ - Fixed version here! Reply with quote

mcm_ham wrote:
Adblock 0.5.2.056+
(Click here to download)

<SNIP>

Well it worked at home yesterday, but I can't get it to work here at work. Invalid install?
tbbrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006    Post subject: Have FireFox 1.5 with AdblockPlus 0.5.11... Reply with quote

...and it works just fine. When I initially went to 1.5, Adblock hiccuped, but I rather expected it.
tbbrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock's broken for me, too Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Linuggz wrote:

yeah, i wiped everything related to mozilla. now, i can get adblock to block images, but not those incredibly annoyying flash ads....

any ideas?
thanks
l.

I've found Flashblock to 86 the Flash ads quite nicely. I sets up a button so you can view the flash object or not.

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Compute in Peace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006    Post subject: So Confused Reply with quote

This is so confusing. Look, I have no problems with Adblock 0.5.2.056 and Filterset G that I can't handle by simply disabling Adblock for certain trusted sites.

But... what is "Adblock Plus"? Should I use it as the latest and greatest? Does Filterset G and "Filterset G Auto-updater" at http://pierceive.com/ work with it? Are both these new programs to be trusted as far as security flaws, etc? I ask because when I just updated to latest version of Adblock, my Firefox 1.5 for Windows said it was "Unsigned" which seems strange since the webpage https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&application=firefox appears to be part of the official developers. Please answer ALL above questions.

Many thanks.
ictfanaat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock 0.5.2.056+ - Fixed version here! Reply with quote

De link doet het niet

this hyperlink cannot findt Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Evil or Very Mad
guest2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Would a moderator un-sticky this post and sticky an annoucement regarding adblock 0.5 d3 nightly 40, as linked on adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html ?

Ditto
Zachariah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on vacation (just checking in to delete spam on the boards) and I have not been following the latest Adblock developments.

I'm off for one more week, then I'll try and figure out what's going on with the builds. If another mod (or dev) who already knows what's going on wants to do Anonymous or guest2's request, by all means do.

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the official version has now been updated. Details of some of the new things added can be found here:
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=2865
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that got posted. I've been offline for more than a few days now (had to reinstall Windows).

It's also nice to see there's no spam (due to registration requirement) -- I wonder if there are any viable anti-spam MODs which could be installed?

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
js32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006    Post subject: Adblock behaviour, 1.07 vs 1.5 Reply with quote

I have an adblock question: So, I keep not upgrading to Fx 1.5, because (at least on OSX), adblock seems to behave strangely on 1.5. (Yes, I've tried uninstall/reinstall). For a lot of sites (see the front page of www.nytimes.com for a good example), some ad text flashes with adblock on 1.5 before it's blocked, and the site seems to load a bit more slowly. On firefox 1.07 with adblock (same version, including the current build which I so hopefully tried), there's no sign of the ads at all, which is a much preferable state of affairs....so, anyone have any explanation? Can I do anything about it? I'd like to be able to upgrade fx eventually...
Zachariah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock behaviour, 1.07 vs 1.5 Reply with quote

js32 wrote:
I have an adblock question: So, I keep not upgrading to Fx 1.5, because (at least on OSX),...
This may interest you:
gemal.dk - Firefox 1.5.0.1 Will Rock on Mac OS X
js32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock behaviour, 1.07 vs 1.5 Reply with quote

Zachariah wrote:
js32 wrote:
I have an adblock question: So, I keep not upgrading to Fx 1.5, because (at least on OSX),...
This may interest you:
gemal.dk - Firefox 1.5.0.1 Will Rock on Mac OS X

Well, yes...actually, it interestes me a lot, and good to know. It doesn't really explain the adblock behavior, though Smile.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: