The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock improperly blocks NYTimes Multimedia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturiego

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005    Post subject: Adblock improperly blocks NYTimes Multimedia Reply with quote

Hello,
I have Adblock installed on the latest Beta version of Firefox. One of my favorite sites is NYTimes, which often runs multimedia content. Since the latest update of Firefox, I am unable to view this content.
I think that this is an issue with Adblock because I had a similar problem about a month ago. On a Firefox forum, someone instructed me to go to Tools>Adblock>Preferences>Adblock Options>Desable Obj-Tabs. This fixed the problem. However, it has reoccurred since the latest update of Firefox.
My Obj-Tabs is still deselected, or disabled. I don't know what else to do, short of uninstalling Adblock, which I am loathe to do. I have been happy with the software other than this problem.
Can anyone help?
Happy Thanksgiving!
Peace,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

An exact URL would be nice.

And what version you're running. Is it the latest 0.5.2.055?
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=2264
asturiego

Hi,
Happy Thanksgiving. Here is the URL for the NYTimes page that I tried to access most recently to view a multimedia file:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/23/nyregion/23lens_web.html
I'm running 5 d2 Nightly * build 39, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for your help.
Peace,
Asturiego
Drahken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning tabs on and then off again.

Also, are you certain that page has any multimedia? I didn't see any (nor any spots where it would be).
barclakj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005    Post subject: FF1.5, RealPlayer and Adblock Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on the BBC site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/ then audio + video link in top right to select a programme).

Installed FF1.5 - new profile. Everything works fine - can get video and audio.
Install Adblock - only get audio. video and player are not rendered.
Uninstall Adblock - everything works again..

The version of Adblock I installed was 0.5.2.039 as available on the Firefox extensions site today. The latest version (as linked on this topic - 0.5.2.055) works fine. It may be worth pushing this version if its considered stable...

Kevin.
asturiego

Hi,
There is a multimedia link, but you have to press skip this ad first to get to the page with the video link. I could send others if it would help. All multimedia files requring WMP or RealPlayer will not play with the current load of Firefox/Adblock.
I guess that I can try uninstalling and reinstalling Adblock to see how that works. I had hoped there was a setting I could select/deselect to cure the problem.
Hey, do you get Premier League video on that BBC Sport site?
Peace,
Drahken

Check your filter list, perhaps it's blocking .wma/.asx .ra/.rm/.ram etc files.
asturiego

Hi,
I'm really perplexed because I deinstalled, or disabled, adblock and I am still unable to view the multimedia from NY Times' site.
Moreover, I have a clear filters' list.
Any suggestions?
Peace,
Drahken

Out of curiosity, go to your profile folder (typically something like C:\Documents and Settings\Default_User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\kv0a9iei.default on XP) and find your prefs.js folder. Close FF and rename the file to prefs.bak or some such, now open FF again and try to go to the NYtimes site. If it suddenly works, then we've located the source of the problem. You can either try to weed out the problem (open the prefs.bak file in notepad and look for any lines mentioning adblock, delete them, save the file. Delete the new prefs;js file (FF creates one if there isn't one already) and rename prefs.bak back to prefs.js, then launch FF), or you can simply leave things as they are and re-set your settings and prefs that were un-set by removing the prefs.js file.
asturiego

Hi,
I tried entering that file path into the command run, but it could not be found.
On Windows Explorer ( I run XP Professional w/SP2), I followed the hierarchy through Documents and Settings, Administrator, and there was no file for Application Data. However, I went to Programs>Mozilla Firefox>Profile and cannot find the file you specified. Finally, I used the Search function and found it, but it is a file that I do not know how to open it. I received a Windows Script Host dialog box with a red X. It says Error: Invalid character, Code: 800A03F6, Microsoft JScript compilation error. The file apparently has 1 line and 1 character. When I go back to the Explorer Window to track down the file, and click on it, I get the same error message. It shows a size of 1 KB.
I appreciate your help, but I'm still in the same place. Any other ideas?
Peace,
Asturiego
Drahken

The prefs.js file is poorly named. Windows tries to treat it as a true javascript file and open it it's own javascript thing. What you need to do is open it in notepad.
asturiego

Hi,
I opened the file in Notepad, and this is what it says:
# Mozilla User Preferences

/* Do not edit this file.
* If you make changes to this file while the browser is running,
* the changes will be overwritten when the browser exits.
* To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL about:config
* For more information, see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
*/
I visited the site and found a section on changing defaults uner Modifying preferences files, but do not really understand what it says.
Any suggestions?
Peace,
Asturiego
NJH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturiego wrote:
Hi,
I'm really perplexed because I deinstalled, or disabled, adblock and I am still unable to view the multimedia from NY Times' site.
Moreover, I have a clear filters' list.
Any suggestions?
Peace,

If you are running Ff (not Mozilla) and you used the deinstall option, you probably now have a knackered profile and will have to create a new one. If you have to create a new profile, please use the unofficial fixed version on Adblock before posting back.
Drahken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Ignore the "do not edit this file" message.
2) The part about not editing it while FF is running is correct, make sure to close it first.
3) You can edit the same settings as in the prefs.js file by typing about:config in the address bar, but you can't delete a key from there (you can erase the value of the key, but not the key itself).

It may be simpler for you to just create a new profile. You will have to re-set all your settings, and will probably have to re-install all your themes and extensions, but that should clear up any and all problems you're having.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: