The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible speed up for displaying local images

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HariKariEd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004    Post subject: Possible speed up for displaying local images Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is what adblock does, but if it does go through *every* single image tag, it would probably be faster to let adblock skip images that link to file:///

Most likely people won't be viewing ads from their own computer.. and if the person didn't mean to have an ad on the computer and saw one unblocked, s/he could find it and delete it Smile

(Came up with this idea because a browser based game I play has an image pack that allows certain repeatedly used images to load from the local machine. I noticed that the pages were taking a long time to load, so I reinstalled firebird (problem continued) and then did a clean install with a new profile (problem gone). I installed adblock again with a fresh block list and everything was as fast as or even faster than IE again.)
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

HariKariEd:
In the first build of v.5, I consciously included blocking on the file:/// protocol. I have a suspicion the average user would find its disablement inconsistent.
However, I agree local files should be trustworthy; and if the speed-increase is noticeable, so much the better.
The next build will ignore local-content. [Note: a local file that loads remote-content will still find its content filtered.]
MW

Would this added feature prevent blocking a file if it's being loaded from the browser's disk/memory cache as well??
MW

also, what about webpages stored locally.....??

if the feature WOULD allow locally stored files to remain UNBLOCKED, perhaps it should be a toggable feature ( like "Check Parent Links").
rue
Developer

MW:
No need for alarm. To Adblock, loading a site from cache is the same as normal loading.
And, if a locally stored web-page contains elements that load from a remote-source, then Adblock filters them. If the page just loads stuff locally, it slides through unfiltered.
Put another way: Adblock doesn't care where the page-source is stored. It's the content that gets filtered.
MW

Cool
HariKariEd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I was just about to post saying that I couldn't recreate my problem Wink

I was adding a bunch of filters but loading time didn't seem to slow down at all. (Maybe I typed in some "easy" filters that adblock can zoom through Wink) But then I tried some different types of filters and eventually maybe after 50+ filters I started to see some slowdown on a file:/// heavy page (200+ images [they might be 10x10 images.. but adblock doesnt care! Wink still content! Razz]

I would assume skipping file:/// could help improve the speed.. at least for those who happen to upon websites that use local file images..

Also on a side note.. regular expression matches should work faster than wildcat matches because instead of going through say... 10 filters, it just does a reg-match with that one pattern.. right?
Haha.. and also I never noticed rue with the "developer" under the name Wink Just thought rue was someone good at regular expressions Razz heheheh

current adblock.pattern /[\W\d](ad|dime|double|fast|value|click)(stream|s|thrutraffic|thru|xchange|click)[\W\d]/ /[\W\d]ad(server|s)?[\W\d]/ /[\W\d]banner(s|id\=)[\W\d]/ /\D\d{2,3}x\d{2,3}\D/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: