The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installed adblock... now can't log in to hotmail, yahoo, etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003    Post subject: installed adblock... now can't log in to hotmail, yahoo, etc Reply with quote

I installed adblock v5 today (firebird 0.7), and immediately found i could no longer log in to sites like hotmail and yahoo. I tried to uninstall adblock, but it didn't seem to disappear entirely. I wound up deleting Firebird and my settings directory completely, and re-installing Firebird from scratch.

Adblock appears to be gone, but I still can't log into the sites mentioned above (it claims I have a proxy error, but this is clearly not true since the same proxy settings used to work before I installed adblock, and they work fine for IE). Please help! I can't use Firebird if this continues, and I can't bear the thought of going back to IE!
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
It doesn't sound like Adblock is your problem, but without more details, it's hard to say. Were you running a nightly browser-build? Where had you installed Adblock -- root or profile -- and which parts "didn't entirely" deinstall? When you say you deleted the "settings directory", what exactly does this refer to?
Lastly, have you tried creating a new profile?

No, I had downloaded the Firebird browser a few weeks ago (v0.7). Everything was stable, I was able to log into all the sites I needed to, until I installed adblock (from the link on the Mozilla Extensions page).

I don't remember what files were left when I tried to uninstall adblock initially - it kept popping up in the Options menu. I never did try to delete the references to it in all the various .rdf files, etc. I found it simpler to re-install Firebird instead. I deleted the MozillaFirebird application directory, and also the entire "Phoenix" directory from my profile directory (C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Application Data\ in WinXP). I downloaded Firebird again from the Mozilla web site, and re-installed it. Adblock - along with every other extension, customization, bookmark, etc. that I had - were gone, as expected. But the problem of logging into web sites remains.

The error message I get is:
The connection was refused when attempting to contact the proxy server you have configured. Please check your proxy settings and try again.

I must stress, there is nothing wrong with my proxy server settings. They have always worked in the past for Firebird, until the moment I installed adblock. I can get to external sites like yahoo, I just can no longer log in. IE works just fine.

So I guess my question is, does adblock do anything strange to any files besides those in the two directories I mentioned above? Does it touch the registry, or add lines to other files that I might not have gotten rid of?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003    Post subject: problem solved? Reply with quote

OK, an update: I uninstalled Firebird again, by deleting the MozillaFirebird directory in C:\Program Files\, and also by deleting the Phoenix profile directory in C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Application Data\. I then used regedit, searched for anything to do with Mozilla, Firebird, etc., and deleted those entries from the Windows registry. For good measure, I deleted the Windows temp directory.

Then, I re-downloaded Firebird and re-installed. Now, everything seems to work OK, although to be honest since I don't know what the problem was or how I "fixed" it, I'm still a little frightened to download Adblock again, to see if I can re-create the error Smile

Have you been able to duplicate the problem on your end? I'd really like to use Adblock, but don't want to risk going through this inconvenience again.

Thanks!
rue
Developer

Guest:
Adblock alters nothing outside the directories you initially removed.
It sounds like you probably had some other issue (file corruption?) that installing Adblock provoked. Adblock itself is pretty well sandboxed.. and it *definitely* doesn't alter any registry-settings.
Give it another try.
Sven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004    Post subject: The proxy problem... Reply with quote

Hi,

I got the same strange proxy behaviour with a web.de account. This page is loaded via http and calls a CGI via a secure connection (https). This fails if AdBlock is enabled. In this case the proxy setting is not used, Mozilla tries to connect directly. After disabling AdBlock this CGI can be executed/loaded via the secure connection (the proxy is used).

My Mozilla version is 1.5 (Debian SID package).

HTH

Sven
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven:
Are you stuck with 1.5 for your platform?
I'm not seeing this behaviour at all under 1.3.1 (mac). I'm wondering a later build resolved this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: