The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filterset.G still updating?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclipse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005    Post subject: Filterset.G still updating? Reply with quote

I came here to update Firefox's adblock stuff ... is Filterset.G still getting updated?
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Very Happy, see this site:
http://www.pierceive.com/
eclipse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005    Post subject: Filterset.G still updating? Reply with quote

OK, is June 28th the latest filter or is there a new one now?
mcm_ham

Yeah that is the latest, if there's any new ones you will find it there.

BTW I take it from your username that you're an Eclipse fan?
G

Check out the FAQ ("How often is Filterset.G updated?").
hank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005    Post subject: So, what "slashdotted" his old site? Was it ....?? Reply with quote

He notes his old site was "slashdotted" by an unauthorized extension that had people automatically connecting every half hour looking for new versions of Filterset G.

I don't know what that unauthorized extension was.

I notice in AdBlockPlus /Options there is an "automatically synchronize" menu option now, that lets people add a path name to check for an update.

Was it the AdBlockPlus automatic synchronization option that "slashdotted" the old Filterset site? Or was it someone else's application?

------------------------
This is the "SITE MOVED" text from the old AdBlock page pointing to the new one and explaining what happened:

Spread the word, Filterset.G has a new, permanent location:
http://www.pierceive.com/

An unauthorized extension that was designed to automatically synchronize
Filterset.G took out my Geocities site. 1400+ people downloaded it before I
found out and had the folks over at umo take it down. The extension
resulted in constant connection requests from its users (every 30 minutes),
and since Geocities (like most hosts) doesn't allow many before cutting a
site off, they took it down. For those who are confused, bandwidth isn't
the issue, connections are (same as the Slashdot Effect). GoDaddy's Economy package (which is what I'm using now) is enough for normal usage, but won't stand up to anything automatic or a Slashdotting. Use the Coral CDN mirror (http://www.pierceive.com.nyud.net:8090/) if you're posting a link on a site big enough to take me out.

As of this point, autosync extensions and mirrors are strictly prohibited
unless I authorize them. I'm working with two people on an autosync extension that will connect to the Coral CDN mirror, and it should be released soon.

I registered this domain (pierceive.com) and am paying for hosting to keep Filterset.G available. I also paid Geocities to bring the old site back up so that I can alert users to the move. I've set up a PayPal account to accept donations (credit cards accepted!) in the hopes of offsetting some of the costs incurred. If I get enough, I can upgrade hosting plans and perhaps handle autosync myself. As it stands, I need to find a host that allows mod_rewrite in .htaccess to get the Coral CDN mirror to refresh more than twice a day.

END QUOTE
bene

Definitely was not Adblock Plus. As site maintainer for Adblock plus, even way back, I've been trying to keep G's filterset used according to his wishes:

Quote:
May 21 2005
Synchronization

There are some sites redisdributing popular filtersets in a format compatible with AdBlock Plus' remote synchronization without proper authorization from the filterset maintainers. Please try to do the right thing in this case.

From http://bene.sitesled.com/adblock.htm

(decoded - "popular filtersets" is Filterset.G, "the right thing" is to not synchronized without proper authorization)

And I know that mcm_ham's been doing the same on the development side of things.

AdBlock Plus Forums here.
G

I am G; "he" is me.

The unathorized extension had nothing to do with Adblock Plus. You won't find any information about it aside from what I posted, since I had it removed as soon as I found out that it existed, and had killed my site. Unfortunately, the damage was already done. The person who developed it is now working with me on an autosync extension that will be authorized (once it meets my requirements).
hank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005    Post subject: >blush< Reply with quote

As we say in California, "duh" -- the sound of one hand clapping is usually my saying that, as I once again clap my hand against my forehead.

Well, I've long known that the best way to get information on the Net is to post what I think I know and await correction.

Thanks for the work and the confirmation of who's who here. Donation sent!
G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Hank. Your donation was very generous, and will certainly help cover hosting costs.

Oh, and in response to your earlier question about a "new one": New versions of both Filterset.G and Filterset.G-Whitelist-Beta have just been released.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
G wrote:
There is no way to reproduce Filterset.G without reference to the genuine article. Sure, you'll happen upon a number of similar elements (especially for simple filters) when making your own, but Filterset.G isn't based on one person's surfing experience. I've received well over a thousand emails from all over the globe regarding advertisements and false positives from thousands of websites in dozens of languages. Without such feedback, there's simply no way to end up with something like Filterset.G.

If you can find a way to sync the most recent version of Filterset.G without violating my license/copyright, be my guest. I would certainly encourage you to try, and even make the method/utility publically available. All I ask is that no one redistribute Filterset.G - if you can have the process completed on your own computer using only what I post, why would I object?

http://www.pierceive.com/filtersetg/+what_happened.txt wrote:
An unauthorized extension that was designed to automatically synchronize
Filterset.G took out my Geocities site.
1400+ people downloaded it before I
found out and had the folks over at umo take it down. The extension
resulted in constant connection requests from its users, and since Geocities
(like most hosts) doesn't allow many before cutting a site off, they took
it down. For those who are confused, bandwidth isn't the issue, connections
are. GoDaddy's Economy package (which is what I'm using now)
allows 50 simultaneous connections, which is enough for normal usage,
but won't stand up to anything automatic or a Slashdotting.

Autosync extensions and mirrors are strictly prohibited unless I authorize them.
I'm working with two people on autosync extensions, and I am requiring that they
only sync with specially-created mirrors that auto-update no more than twice a
day. If you can host a mirror (must be able to deal with a decent number of
connections), let me know.

I would just like to point out that you did, in fact, quite explicitly 'authorize' any and all extensions that would sync with your list.

I still think your list is good, but you have repeatedly conducted yourself in a manner that is not cool.

Just sayin.
hank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005    Post subject: Doesn't "keep list sorted" make updates hard? Reply with quote

I notice (thanks to someone somewhere who pointed it out to me recently) that turning off "keep list sorted" in the Adblock (and ~Plus) settings lets whatever I add drop to the bottom -- so I can export my list, clip off the stuff I added manually, and append it to the next version of "G" before importing it.

I realize I should probably be sending you these trimmings of my own experience and I'll start doing that.

But -- how come the recommend setting is to have the list sorted?

When it's sorted -- I can't find what I've added.

Or is there some automagic setting I'm missing to pull out what I manually append, to get them to you for your update consideration?

Thanks again.

And to emphasize why this works for me, this is also a thank-you for letting me not hate so many companies that are stupid enough to pollute the net with ads, whose products I would never buy if I saw them advertising in my face unwanted. As long as I don't know, I can consider their stuff when I go shopping (grin). If only they wanted customers like me (sigh) who think before they buy. But, no ...
G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It keeps the !Filterset.G line at the top. If you're using Filterset.G-Whitelist-Beta, it obviously becomes even more important.
D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005    Post subject: G, you should add [b]seeq.com[/b] to the filter. Reply with quote

G, you should add seeq.com to the filter.

seeq
G

Read the Submission Guidelines and send me an email.
hank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005    Post subject: >keeps the filterset G line at the top Reply with quote

Ah. Okay, keeping the filterset G line at the top is helpful to remind us what we're using.

Does anyone have a handy "diff" tool that would pull out only what's been added, if the additions are scrambled into the list by the sorting option?

Heck, if I could just color the Filterset G text pink and the new stuff green, or .... anything other than proofreading it line by line.
IceDogg

G wrote:
It keeps the !Filterset.G line at the top. If you're using Filterset.G-Whitelist-Beta, it obviously becomes even more important.

call me stupid I don't care, but I don't see why it's important. You can easily spot what the whitelist filters are they have the @@ in front. Sorry not so obvious to me.

hank, I'd leave them unsorted so you can see what you added. Makes sense to me, but G knows more then me about it. But I don't need the filterset G line at the top to know what filter list I'm using.. It's always the same. G's Very Happy I guess if you use different versions of his list it might come into play, but I just always use the latest one.
G

When people report ads that aren't blocked or false positives, it's extremely helpful to have the version number.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005    Post subject: Re: >keeps the filterset G line at the top Reply with quote

hank wrote:
... Does anyone have a handy "diff" tool that would pull out only what's been added, if the additions are scrambled into the list by the sorting option? ...
the EditPad Pro Demo for Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP (1.8 MB) will do that for you

install it, open a dowloaded filtersetG and your exported filterset, then go to "Extra > Compare Files"

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
IceDogg

G wrote:
When people report ads that aren't blocked or false positives, it's extremely helpful to have the version number.

Ok I can see that. It's still in there, but it's easy for them to find if it's at the top. I gotcha
hank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005    Post subject: > diffs .... but I've got a Mac ... Reply with quote

>Edit pad pro
Good idea, but I've got a Mac (OSX) not Windows.
I realize I can figure out a way to do it at the Unix level. It's just one more chore (along with why the brakes are leaking on the Subaru and why I have California Fire Ants in my botany restoration project). Always something.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

TextWrangler 2 (is free) and BBEdit (30 day demo / $199.00) each are capable of comparing files, and both run on OSX

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
4dantheman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005    Post subject: How do I turn off Alert Filterset.G version UNINSTALL_A? Reply with quote

How do I turn off Alert Filterset.G version UNINSTALL_A?

Every time I open a new window I'll receive an Alert that the Filterset.G version UNINSTALL_A has been updated.

Thanks in advance.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=2120

Note a better version is coming soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: