The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AdBlock causing display bug on Firefox nightly 05/11/05

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005    Post subject: AdBlock causing display bug on Firefox nightly 05/11/05 Reply with quote

It seems that AdBlock is causing the following bug in the latest nightly of the Firefox trunk:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=293778
(bookmarks toolbar missing in 2nd opened window)

This also seems related to a crash which is occurring when trying to check Comcast email online via mailcenter.comcast.net.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, the Adblock team has been promising a lot of things and while it would be nice to see their next version, if they can't even shove that out yet - I'd doubt they'd deal with any other "problems".

They've never responded to a nightly issue much less a Bugzilla bug since their last release. Why would they start now? I'm not implying development is dead. But it SURE feels like it.

They've never even addressed the age-old bug of Adblock causing every extension installed thereafter to have its home page, when visited from the EM, opened in a new window. SO ANNOYING, AND UNNECESSARY. Yet they haven't even fixed something as simple as that and made users suffer between keeping the awesome ability of AdBlock or regaining use of viewing [same window/new tab] extension Home pages from the EM.
Hmmm... *Sarcastic* Tough choice.

As a result, I haven't even dared bothered trying to click a "Home Page" link via Options menu in the EM. I've becomed conditioned to avoid it.

That's exactly why you won't get any headway on this issue. And, if you do? It's probably b/c I caused a ruckus on this thread and rue and co. doesn't want to look bad much less un-supportive.

Honestly, what can it hurt to help fix an issue YOUR extension is causing? I realize trunk code is ever changing and you might be waiting for a more stable release of FF. Well, now's your time to shine, it ain't gettin' anymore stable [in terms of extensions] FOR A WHILE, so let's shove something out then you can add a or whenever you feel like it.

Thank god, the FF team didn't hold on 0.9 and try to wait and incorporate and merge and fix and patch, in the background, W/O RELEASE(s) along the way until a future 1.0.3. FF moves with the times, as for Adblock? I simply don't know what to say... except maybe... retire?

Peter(6) at MozillaZine's daily update news:
Quote:
Warning, disable AdBlock (in EM) it's the cause of multiple problems incl. crashes !

So, those running nightlies and AdBlock are now properly sunk.

/sigh/ It's not good for Firefox at all. I'm still running 2005-04-21 because I can't live without AdBlock. The current approach makes it look like it won't even get fixed for 1.1.
Zachariah

Adblock has always been fixed to work with official releases.

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
oldtimer

Zach, if you could, mind listing which official releases and what was fixed, if any?
Zachariah

when going from v0.9 to v1.0 the internal version number was bumped -- and Adblock still works with 1.0.x releases -- when 1.1 final is released I expect it to work then, too

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldtimer:

This is the first time I've heard that particular bug. It's hard to fix bugs when you don't know about them.

Regarding the original bug: bz checked in a fix for the trunk and 1.0.5 branch; the issue would have appeared with *any* nsIContentPolicy component implemented in JavaScript. We happened to be the only ones exposing the bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Ah! Thanks, wonk. That actually seems to be a first within Adblock for pioneering developement. That's great to hear. The more things that get fixed [in FF], the better.

Per that really old annoying bug:
[BUG] Extension window: "Visit extension homepage

This is the only I thread I could find at the moment. I'm sure it's been reported numerous times under lackluster titles like "Adblock problems". These asses, can they ever learn to title their threads correctly? Only God knows.

And, are you really a developer? 'Cause if not your title seems a lilttle misleading. BTW, great to see you back. Very Happy

If you could guarantee this be addressed I'd be much obliged. This has existed for me since Jun '04. And, my first extension was Adblock and I never turned back since. Can't I be rewarded for some loyalty [among the patient others] and the suffering/endurance I bared to not use that very functionality Adblock took away from me? It's simply not fair.
oldtimer

Ah! Thanks, wonk. That actually seems to be a first within Adblock for pioneering development. That's great to hear. The more things that get fixed [in FF], the better.

Per that really old annoying bug:
[BUG] Extension window: "Visit extension homepage

This is the only thread I could find at the moment. I'm sure it's been reported numerous times under lackluster titles like "Adblock problems". These asses, can they ever learn to title their threads correctly? Only God knows.

And, are you really a developer? 'Cause if not your title seems a lilttle misleading. BTW, great to see you back. Very Happy

If you could guarantee this be addressed I'd be much obliged. This has existed for me since Jun '04. And, my first extension was Adblock and I never turned back since. Can't I be rewarded for some loyalty [among the patient others] and the suffering/endurance I bared to not use that very functionality Adblock took away from me? It's simply not fair.

Also, I found quite a similarly old development:
OBJ-TABS ...enabled...ActiveX plugin will run any control

Please, urgent your thoughts are. [Not trying to sound like Yoda in anyway LOL]

ALSO, I'd like to recommend:
A new forum section entitled Bugs be added.

There is a horrible disarray going on and I'd think it'd do much good to help threads get the proper noticeability they need amongst battling it out with all the newbie/support requests you get here in the "Main" section.

I urge you to strongly consider this [of course, this means amongst rue and co]. I'd also like to assist in any way I can, including a temporary moderator position to aid in moving as many bug topics from the Main section back to the proposed new Bug section. I am quite good at this task and I guess actions/examples can only speak volumes at this point. But I hope you'd strongly consider letting me help as I can not prove them aforehand. As I said again, on a temporary basis, there will be no hard feelings after rue and co. have decided I have done enough. In fact, I don't claim myself worthy enough in any regard to be titled next to you guys under Moderators:. I mean you are the guys that built/tweaked Adblock and are the hard workers that should be the only ones that remain there/receive that honor.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they want to have a place to file bugs they could always just enable the bugzilla system that mozdev provides. However, it sounds like Adblock 0.6 was almost started from scratch so they are only going to do the minimal amount of work required to make Adblock 0.5 work with each new release. However, I'll list all the bugs that I know of currently:
  • Max Fx version is too low in install.rdf file which prevents Adblock from being installed offline. (Online is ok because the update.rdf allows it to work with up to Fx 10.0)
  • Regexp link is broken. Should point to the temporary site which will become the new home for the old devedge content.
  • Javascript console error from em-overrides.xul file after checking for updates on Firefox nightlies.
  • Going to a site that's blocked by site blocking doesn't display blocked notification and makes tab unusable and unclosable.
  • Deinstall from help menu causes problems on Fx, should use browser test so that it only runs on old Fx versions and Mozilla, and display an alert otherwise.

Last edited by mcm_ham on Mon May 30, 2005; edited 1 time in total
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just helped the tenth person who's lost the ability to open the Extensions Manager in firefox because they used the Deinstall option under Adblock's menu. So I'm posting the code from settings.xul I've been using which prevents that.

Code:
<script>
function isMozilla()
{
    //If running Mozilla unhide deinstall menu option
    if (!/(Firefox|Netscape)/.test(navigator.userAgent))
    {
        document.getElementById("deinstall-menuitem").removeAttribute("hidden");
        document.getElementById("deinstall-sep").removeAttribute("hidden");
    }
}
</script>

<popup id="options-menu" position="after_end" onpopupshown="setMenuStatus(this); isMozilla();" onpopuphidden="setMenuStatus(null)">

<menuseparator id="deinstall-sep" hidden="true"/>
<menuitem label="Deinstall" id="deinstall-menuitem" hidden="true" oncommand="uninstallAdblock();"/>

(I have fixes for all listed issue above, except the fourth issue which is only a partial fix)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: